Mumbai

Maybe more visitors to India than Albania…

Anyone have tips for Mumbai?

The taj is still a wonderful hotel and I sort of feel everyone should stay there on principle alone. The old part of the hotel is beautiful.

As for the city, unfortunately it really is a giant shanty town.

shady… why bother?

down by the water you can spend a day… but again… why bother…
so many other cities/towns in India worth visiting…

There seems to be enough to fill a weekend, that’s all it would be (to escape the boredom and heat of ramadan in the uae)

Mark, where would your top three cities in India be for a weekend trip.

I really enjoyed Mumbai - great food.

I have a former student who is a professor at IIT Bombay. I could ask for recos if you’re going. I would trust his opinion.

Russell: Go to Trishna and eat the Pomfret. (I like the Hyderabadi and Hariyali preparations).

Agra (Taj Mahal)? that’d be #1. yah it’s a bit cliche, and the town has nothing else besides Taj… but man that was pretty cool to see.

Jaipur is pretty close by and nice fort

Amritsar - golden temple - is amazing… truly profound place… But it’s an overnight train so might not be good for a weekend.

Just reporting back, very interesting 48 hour trip.

I’d advise against going during the monsoon, it didn’t stop pouring for more than five minutes.

Colaba, the markets, the temples, Chowpatty all of interest. Some excellent food, in particular the Parsee dishes. Bars of all types.

The Taj Palace is a fine hotel, I spent two hours just enjoying the artwork hanging in the hallways.