Train, Philadelphia to NYC?

Daughter and I are flying to Philly to attend legal seminar/conference that starts on a Thursday and ends on a Sunday. We thought we’d then take the Amtrak from Philly up to Penn Station in NYC, and spend the night in NYC. Perhaps a hotel in Gramercy Park and then eat at that neat looking Italian restaurant talked about in another thread, Maialino

Any suggestions about the train ride? Such as “coach” versus “business”?

By the way, thanks for the great discussion and recommendations for Italian restaurants in that other thread!! [cheers.gif]

Also, looking at the train options, I see there are a few different train names, each at different times. Such as the:

140 Northeast Regional;
2254 Acela Express;
194 Northeast Regional; and,
42 Pennsylvanian

Any real differences between the trains?

The Northeast Regional will take about 90 minutes. I know that you can survive in coach. It’s surprisingly comfortable. Check out any promotions that are on the website; and, don’t forget to sign up for the Amtrak Guest Rewards program.

The Acela is a bit faster than the others but a bunch more expensive.

In comparison with Acela, the NE Regional cars are older, more careworn, and have no armrests between the seats (only outboard). They also have 1 or 2 more stops between Phil and NYC, and get lower track priority in any competition with Acela. Both have tons of legroom. If you are not in a particular hurry and, especially, if you are on a daytime train, the NE Regional is likely fine. The Acela has both Business and First; I can’t imagine paying fr first

My son (now 10) is a big train enthusiast, and has gone from Charlottesville to NYC several times with his Grandfather, with stops in Philly. Philly to NYC is nothing in coach, and very convenient out of Times Square to the rest of the city. Should be no problem for savvy travelers like yourself.

Thanks, folks!! As always, very helpful!!!

We have only steam engines and freight cars here in Wyoming, so this is a new thing for me! [wink.gif] [cheers.gif]

Acela is definitely not worth it from Philly. On the other hand, I would say that it is from DC. Fir Philly, the Acela saves you 10 minutes or so. Go with the regional. Coach is fine.

Did this very thing a month ago with my daughter and can tell you that as slow as that train goes (NE Regional) the Business seat and minor differential in price are well worth it. The free WiFi onboard was a very nice thing to have as well, although that is not seat type specific. Super easy and a great way to make the journey.

Just to be clear, the Acela is the only one that is a different train and a different price.

The other names mean nothing, but may have different schedules including number of stops. I take the train all the time from Albany to NYC. Very easy, very comfy.

If cost is a concern you used to be able to take SEPTA to Trenton and transfer to NJ Transit to NYC. Then you get to spend some time in a Trenton!

Michael

We are booked! Northeast Regional mid-day, two coach seats reserved. The extra stops will be just fine, as Em and I will not be in any hurry. We simply need to get to NYC, our hotel, and dinner (hopefully at Maialino). The train ride will be fun for us!! Thanks again for all the help, folks!

Have a great time Terry. Report back

You made the right choice, Terry…the ride is , ultimately, a short one.

I’m curious to hear what you do here in Philadelphia with your daughter (though you didn’t say her age)…lots of good things to do, see and eat in the Philadelphia area. Please report back on that, too…

Good luck

Second the comment about making the right choice. I have traveled the NYC to DC train countless times. In general, there is not enough difference between the regional trains and the Acela to justify an upgrade if you are the one paying. You have the ability to get up and move around on all of them. And all have some sort of bar/food car. Was best in the day when on St. Patricks day there was a keg of free beer in the bar car.

Word of warning. Most/all trains have a “quiet car”. Avoid it if you are with your daughter and want to converse with her at all. I have seen people nearly ‘stoned to death’ in the quiet car for answering their phone.

Enjoy. Should be good fun.

So traveling with his daughter they’d be talking by phone? Child of the 21st Century, you are! :slight_smile:

As someone with an 18 yr old daughter, you adjust to whatever form of communications they will participate in…

I’d be one doing the stoning. A good caution.

Lots of great places to eat in Philly - and lots of BYOs.

Train ride is very easy – I do it regularly. You made a good decision with the regional. You will get to see some nice abandoned buildings along the way — and the back of the nation’s first zoo. It is most usually a quick and comfy ride. Wifi and plugs available.

This. :slight_smile: