Manhattan update - wine & beef

I read a few older threads about NYC and as things change rapidly I would like to ask for current recommendations for a good wine & beef restaurant in Manhattan. Most importantly wine (preferably California focused) , but a good steak wouldn’t hurt…

Second question, I am taking clients out to an ice hockey game in the Madison Square Garden - not sure about the dinign times in NYC, is it better to grab a bite before the game or are restaurants open long enough to show up at 10pm and expect a good meal ? In Europe this would certainly be possible in Spain, but here in Switzerland most restaurants close at 11pm…

Many thanks for your help!
Christian

Keens Steakhouse would be my choice. It has the classic old New York ambiance, close 10-minute walking distance to MSG and the steaks are good. Post game meal may be out of the question as they are open only until 10:30 pm. I don’t think their wine list is robust enough, though, but sufficiently serviceable.

If you insist on good CA wine list, then Sparks Steakhouse may be your best bet. It’s about a 20 minute cab ride crosstown to MSG and the steaks, imho, are pretty good too.

I second what Ramon said. Keens has the better proximity to MSG, Sparks has the much better winelist. Both have good steaks. Keens does allow corkage at $20/bottle. Sparks does not allow corkage at all.

As for the timing issue, I would just call the restaurant and explain your situation and ask if they can accommodate you after the game. If they can’t, go before the game.

Thanks Ramon and Corey,

Great recommendations, will call ahead and see what they can do.

While we are at it, whats the best wine bar(s) in town, focus on wine not “hipness” [cheers.gif]

All the best and thanks again
Christian

Regarding wine bars, it depends on what kind of wine and cuisine that you’d like. I’m partial to a couple of wine bars, because they are close to my home and I like their food.

Terroir has 3 locations in Manhattan, serves good tapas-sized food and offers many interesting wines by the glass/bottle. I frequent the Murray Hill location. Click on one of the locations below and you can check out the menu and winelists.

http://restauranthearth.com/terrior/Terroir.html

I also like 'inoteca, but it’s located all the way in the Lower East Side. Very good Italian tapas-sized dishes (egg-toast with truffle is a must order). Pretty good Italian wine oferings, too.

http://www.inotecanyc.com/

keens and Sparks are great choices,
keens is closer to the Garden so if you choose to go out after the game it would work.
Otherwise Sparks would be my First choice.
Uncle Jacks is also walking distance to MSG.if you are going with a small group they may be able to sit you in their small wine room. They allow BYO

Thanks for all your good suggestions, we will book accordingly.

Ramon, the Inotecca seems to have closed shop…

Cheers
Christian

Christian, inoteca is now closed.
For a great natural wine bar try Ten Bells.
It is relatively hip but not exclusively so.

Yes, 'inoteca had closed a week ago, amidst a very busy final week. Sad, as it is an institution in Manhattan’s Lower East Side. I’m looking forward to the team coming up with a new food-and-wine venture.

Have to revive that old thread… going again to NY in March and still looking for updates !

This time I am not going with the family but with a friend, staying in the Gansevoort Meatpacker. Any tips welcome. champagne.gif

All the best
Christian

Christian,

Dry-Aged Côte De Boeuf for 2 at Prime Meats in Brooklyn is a thing of beauty.
wine list is here: Frankspm.com

Tip#1 - Find another hotel. [snort.gif]

Tip#2 - Good places for research: http://ny.eater.com/ or New York Restaurants and Bars | The Thousand Best

Thanks Suzanne, exatly the stuff I am looking for!

Jorge, the Gansevoort was highly recommended by a colleague, you don’t like I take it [truce.gif]

Cheers
Christian

They also permit BYO I think it is $25.00 per bottle.