Santa Barbara

Making a flying, last-minute trip to Santa Barbara, CA for business on Monday. I’ll arrive tonight and have Sunday to kill. Any suggestions appreciated.

Dinner at Bouchon.

Tasting at Jaffurs & Kunin.

Golf at Rancho San Marcos.

Thanks for the tip. However, I share Mark Twain’s view of golf. But it looks like a nice climate for golf courses and for those who enjoy the game.

Snagged reservations at Bouchon late tonight, however!

Ok so here is a lunch suggestion if you are into Mexican. http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-super-rica-taqueria-santa-barbara Enjoy the stay.

Good hotel suggestions for Santa Barbara? We’re stopping there with the family in July.

For some interesting wine wine tasing in SB, check out La Tour.This is a small wine bar that specializes in imported wines, specifically from France, Italy and Germany. Dana and I have been a couple of times, and had a great time talking to the owner, who will pour a wide assortment of wines. Well worth the stop if you stay in SB. Depending on the weather, we may be inticed to come on up as well and get a few SB locals over. [cheers.gif]

This place has since closed up shop. Too bad.

Stop in and say hey to Oprah. She should be in town.

Or head up to http://fulloflifefoods.com/Full_of_Life_Flatbread/Restaurant.html in Los Alamos. About a 30 minute jaunt but I guarantee you will love it.

For lunch try the Boathouse at Hendry Beach. Great spot with outdoor dining.

For some history try Old Mission Santa Barbara. Your visit is like paying homage to the first wine grape growers.

Thanks to all for the suggestions…any recommendations on a hotel? I don’t mind paying up a little for a great location and good service.

We stayed at a historical inn/hotel in the downtown area that was decent. I think it was the Upham Hotel…http://www.uphamhotel.com/ What’s nice about it is that it is near downtown…Gary

Four Seasons. Right on the beach, great service, walking distance to downtown montecito.

Thx Danny and Gary

Bill -

In Santa Barbara, Cabrillo Blvd (beachfront) has several options. Have stayed at the Cabrillo Inn - nice place but not real charming (per se). Go south a bit and you could stay at the Biltmore (Four Seasons) which is pretty top shelf; The San Ysidro Ranch is also pretty bitchen (also in Montecito); to the north in Goleta is the Bacara. Have been to the Bacara and have always had excellent service. Close to the sand and fine amenities. Certainly not close to all the SB has to offer bet not too far away either. Are you looking for dining / wine options as well?

Lemme know - Happy to help out if I can -

Michael

Michael
Thanks…we’re going to be with our teenage/twentysomething kids but may try to sneak out for a couple hours to do a tasting. Dinner ideas are certainly welcome as well.

Bill -

I’ll echo the Bouchon suggestion, though depending on what night / time, reservations can be a pain. Wine Cask in downtown SB is fine dining (Co-Owned by Doug Margerum and Mitchell Sjveren - who also owns Bouchon). If you appreciate a good view and good food - Brophy’s at the Harbor is the place. Overlooks the SB Harbor and view of the local mountains (The BoatHouse at Hendry’s Beach is right on the sand - killer view too - don’t know bout the food). Flatbread in Los Alamos (to the north about 40 minutes or so) is amazing. Show up early or bring / buy a bottle for the wait. Bacara has some excellent dining at Miro. If at all possible (and weather permitting) do try and dine out or as close as possible to out - weather should be top shelf.

I can’t say enough good things about Sanguis Wines (stretch - but in the “Funk Zone” of SB) Killer juice and great peeps. Jaffurs is nearby close by up off Milpas street as well. Hit 'em both and you’ll be pleased for sure.

Downtown SB (State Street) has shopping / entertainment options. Bike rentals (bike path on the beach), volleyball at East Beach (or right out in front near Stearns Wharf) - hiking is close by with some fun trails in the front country. Depending on when in July you visit, Fiesta (Old Spanish Days) will be gearing up. This year, the first days of August are a celebration of Santa Barbara’s Spanish heritage.

Shoot me a pm and I can hook you up with phone numbers, or narrow it down (hey, I’m a fireman - I can talk for hours!!) etc…

Michael

Fireman Hoose has a lot of great suggestions. So much to do in SB, and great places to eat, drink, hike, etc.

Also check out Hotel Oceano. Great hotel for families, right across from the beach and the most affordable while being the nicest (revamped all their rooms last year.) Kids can hang on beach or pier, and you guys can walk to the “Funk Zone” wine area, which is really starting to take off. Enterprise Fish Company (right around the corner past the train station on State) is always solid as well.

Book now, because July is prime time in SB for people all over the county. It’s the Mediterranean of the US!

Enjoy.

With all due respect, no way is Flatbread 30 min from SB. More like an hour+ and imho, while I love the place, there is no reason to go there if you’re in SB.