Tips for saving on airfare - when u don't have pts to speak of?

Delta has a hub in Minneapolis w/ lots of direct flts. We don’t like connections. So we’re choosy flyers trying to be as comfortable as possible without having business travel upgrade opportunities and points to or travel free. In other words we’re stuck with mostly buying the best fare we can. We’re flying to SFO in Nov and right now a an almost empty flt both ways non stop is $445 per person. Any strategies to buy it lower??

First off, you have to check the fares every day. Do this for a week or two to establish a baseline fare. Check the usual places as fares may vary. ie Kayak, Expedia, and yes, even the Delta website.

Right after Labor Day, I expect prices will fall for the normally slow fall travel season. Keep us posted on the results.

Consider using some of the forecasters out there. It has been a while since I used Kayak, but I saved $300 per ticket (x6) on a trip to Maui a few years back. Can be hit or miss, though. WSJ had a good article on it last year, iirc.

Outside of that,

Google ita matrix and give it a try. I am seeing flights as low as $188. I always use this site to find the best fares/dates and then book directly with the carrier.

Craig – What are your dates and are they flexible (normally the easiest way to save money)? Alaska, United and Sun Country all have nonstop
fights in addition to DL…

Yep been checking twice a day. I’m also looking at the seating chart as a gage. Right now the plain is very empty so my guess is the prices go down in a week or 3. I like your thinking that after labor day could be drop off point in rates. Right now I’m going to keep checking twice a day just in case it drops fast or the flt starts to fill quickly because of a convention or something.

Nervous about Sun Country’s mgmt changes and have never used them. To be honest, I’m mainly interested on how to get the best rate through Delta. Want to avoid hassles,connections and night flts.