Montreal

Headed to Montreal next month for three days for the first time. Recommendations on places to stay, good restaurants and things to do would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jacques

Schwartz’ Deli, Joe Beef, many great places.
Great city to walk and practice French.

Rue St Denis, Rue St Laurent. No need to stray further.

My favorite meals in Montreal have been at Chez L’spicier - so friendly and welcoming, such very good food

I always buy bread at Pain Dore - http://fr.aupaindore.com and when possible, I stop by before heading to airport and bring back glorious loaves

The Montreal Tourism board has a very useful site - Montreal Festivals are just such fun - everyone out in the streets enjoying themselves … https://www.mtl.org/en

I was just in Montreal in June, and I disagree with the recommendation to stick to the Old Town.
Lots of interesting neighborhoods and a great transit system to get there, particularly the subway.
Top sites outside the Old Town include Mount Royal, the Jean Talon Market, the Botanical Gardens, and St. Joseph Oratory. A boat ride from the Old Port is also enjoyable.
The Old Town does have its charm, but I preferred hitting it in the late morning, before the tourist hordes swelled.
As with so many other places, making the effort to greet people in French will buy you goodwill. Most service workers will happily switch to English once they hear your accent, but they appreciate efforts to acknowledge their culture.

Agreed - we always enjoyed wandering around Le Plateau in particular.

The boss (wife) has a conference in Montreal in late October and plan on tagging along. Is it feasible to drive into the city or a huge hassle? Thought it could make for a nice driving trip that time of the year…

When I lived in NH, I used to drive up often and it was fine. Once there, I’d park the car for the whole stay as walking and the metro were best.

If you drive in around rush hour, it can be brutal. But once you’ve got the car there, you don’t need it again until it’s time to leave.
I would search for a long-term parking arrangement, though, as rates in some areas are quite steep.

1 Like

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions.

FYI, they have Car2Go and Uber

L’express bistro on le plateau is great. Great wine list, nice for lunch.

1 Like

Thank you!

Bumping the old thread. Any new recommendation? Looking for wine bars that would open during the day for some solo day drinking.