Going to Vietnam > better get that eVisa

My brother-in-law was in Thailand on vacation. His next stop was Vietnam. I thought he was travel savy (being related to me), but he’s not. The airline wouldn’t let him fly from Thailand to Vietnam because he didn’t have a Visa. [swoon.gif]

We’re headed to Vietnam this fall. One of the first things I read about was you need to have a Visa to enter Vietnam.
Looks like my brother-in-law didn’t know this, as I listened to a one sided conversation between him and my wife.

So now he’s in the process of re-arranging his trip (hotels/flights/tours). My wife said to me ‘how come I didn’t tell him’?
Well, he did a very good job of trip planning. He books hotels that would envy readers on this board. He doesn’t cheap out.
Anyway, I’m asking the important questions about airline/hotel, and tour information.

E Visa is a painless process. If you’re going to Vietnam (or anywhere else around the globe), better check to see if you need a Visa.

You’re going to Vietnam? I had no idea… [wink.gif]

We absolutely fell in love with Vietnam and will return someday.

It sounds like the new eVisa is easier than the previous version. We chose not to go with the visa on arrival since I’m paranoid and we had never traveled anywhere that required a visa.

I’ve not done the eVisa. Once I chanced it and got a visa at the airport upon arrival; really lucked out. There were maybe 10 people in line when I got there and when I left there were 100; it all depends on when the flights arrive.

There is an outfit (Vietnam Visa Corp) that will handle this for you. They meet you at the airport, stand in line, and basically hold your hand. They also arrange local transportation. I’ve used them a couple times. You can also use a service here in the US; they take your passport to the Vietnamese consulate in San Francisco. This one is expensive and you have to send them your passport, so FedX, etc. is advised.

One other pitfall to be aware of is that if you leave Vietnam and re-enter later you need a different visa. If you just stay in the airport they don’t enforce it.