Grand Canyon Hiking Guides

I’m interested in doing a hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon in March 2018 with my wife and two kids (14 and 12 at the time). I’m seeking recommendations for doing a guided/supported hike. If you’ve done one before, I’m interested in hearing about how it went and what you thought of your guide company.

I was reminded of this:
IMG_2064.JPG

I have hiked to the bottom and back while staying at the phantom ranch. That needs to planned well in advance as the bottom on the canyon lodging is/was male and female bunkhouses that got booked well in advance. Maybe there is something more high class now. Personally that round trip hike even over two days would be too tough for kids that young. If using the mules then no worries on that front. There are only a couple trails so not many options and no real choice via mule if things are the same. It is beautiful and well worth getting to the bottom .

The problem with the phantom ranch is that I need to go on spring break and I have tried calling the first day I can call but have never gotten a reservation. My kids are fit and can hike. We did a single day round trip 10 miler in Glacier NP when they were 5 and 7. I’d like to spend a couple nights at the bottom but don’t want to haul everything. I know there are companies that do it, just would like to hear if anyone has used one and what their experience was like.

Tim,

Given your dates, getting accommodations secured will be difficult.

My only suggestion is camping down near Phantom Ranch, if you don’t want to carry everything, you can pay for mule service to bring whatever down and back out. Only caveat, you need to bring your gear to the appropriate location he night before departure, and you will not get it back until about 16:00 the day it leaves.

Btw, given your children’s hiking experience, I’m sure they’ll do great.

Howard