Lobster Shacks, Maine

Suggestions please between and including Portland and Kennebunkport and also Bar Harbor itself. Thanks in advance.

Plum Lobster Farm - Great prices!

http://www.chaunceycreek.com - our favorite!

Been to Chauncey Creek once. Liked it and the fact that it’s BYO.

Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster is my favorite on the Maine coast (my real favorite is Eagle’s Nest in Brewer – best lobster roll in the world). But HLL is in Freeport, which is outside the OP’s requested range.

My solution? Go to Freeport! Stop for lunch at HLL on your way up to Bar Harbor from Portland. Get the perfectly composed lobster roll and a bowl of clam chowder, which is a bit variable but the good batches are also among the best I’ve ever had, anywhere. Go to Mainely Custard for dessert. Check out L.L. Bean if you are so inclined.

Other good spots include:

1. the Two Lights Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth – touristy/pricey (though not like most places in Kennebunk) but gorgeous setting, and they still do a good job with the roll.

2. Bite Into Maine Lobster Truck – in Fort Williams Park, Cape Elizabeth. Grab and go picnic on the rocky coast. Excellent lobster rolls; a bit fancier than traditional shacks.

I’d avoid most of the places in town in Portland. If you want a lobster roll in Portland, go to Eventide, which is a fantastic seafood restaurant that serves a truly unique lobster roll that’s won lots of awards. Eventide is the opposite of a shack. But if you are also going to have a few more traditional lobster rolls in other places, I think you should try it – especially because the rest of the food is also some of the best in Maine.

Whatever you do, don’t go to Fisherman’s Grill in Portland.

Another vote for Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster great memories from childhood to adulthood

In Portland, agree completely with Jay Eventide is worth it. Also check out Maine and Loire a fun natural wine shop!

Red’s Eats in Wiscasset, but the lines can be pretty long

Take a look at this thread:

thurston’s lobster restaurant in SW harbor in Acadia nat’l park

Just got back from a couple of days in the Freeport/Portland/Portsmouth are Jay. My girlfriend had the roll at Harraseeket (I was visiting my daughter up at camp for the day so couldn’t go) and we both had the rolls at Bite Into Maine’s truck parked at Allagash the next day. She said the BIM Picnic Roll (celery salt & butter) was the best lobster roll sh’e ever had. I thought it was phenomenal. We also had the Maine style but the Picnic won hands down.

Ipswich clams! Better than lobster.

You could do worse than Day’s in Yarmouth:

Fried clams

I liked the lobster roll, served on a hamburger bun, at Marriner’s Restaurant in Camden.

Just heard that Abel’s Lobster Pound at the foot of Somes Sound has closed, on the way to Northeast Harbor. Not the best lobster on MDI, and possibly the most expensive, but an institution nonetheless. If I recall correctly, Jim Sterba has kind words for Abel’s in his memoir “Frankie’s Place.”