Montepulciano or Montalcino?

Not a wine preference question, but based purely on enjoyment on sites and walking around the town. We will probably have lunch there also so recommendations are welcomed. Hoping to pop into a winery if I get lucky and time allows.

Definitely Montepulciano. While I love the area, the town of Montalcino is not all that interesting. Montepulciano, on the other hand, is a great town to stroll around. Also you can just pop into a winery in Montepulciano; in Montalcino you can taste in some wine shops but the wineries require a drive and in most cases an appointment.

If you need further evidence, just look at the number of parking lots. Montalcino has very limited parking but doesn’t need any more. Montepulciano has numerous lots and they fill up in season. There’s a reason for that.

1 Like

I’ve only been to Montepulciano, but agree with Jeff that it sounds ideal for you and is a good day trip (though we stayed there for ~ 5 days).

Plenty of stroll-in tasting rooms in the centre. Crociani a favourite, however if you want one visit, it’s worth considering Contucci, for whom direct customer contact is their preferred route to market. Oldest winery in the area. Plenty of other good wineries where you can just turn up and taste. Whilst this often lacks the engagement of an organised tasting, seems like exactly what you’re looking for.

For a mid-morning or mid-afternoon energy boost, pop into the old Caffe Poliziano on via di Voltaia nel Corso 27 for a coffee or tea plus their fine selection of dainty ‘mignon’ cakes. A good pick-me-up.

For food we liked the understated / relaxed Osteria del Conte - Via San Donato, 19, Phone: 0578.766.062 closed wed, but there are good options in the centre. Classier option is La Grotta - Localita’ San Biagio, 15, Phone: 0578 757607 also closed Wed, and if this appeals, consider parking up down there, having a look round the old church and maybe a quick taste at one of the tasting rooms down there, then stroll (hike!) up to Montelpulciano. It’s straight, paved and somewhat steep, so find a nice pace and it won’t take long. Use this walk to either walk off lunch if you arrive late, or to work up an appetite for when you return back down to eat.

We were traveling without a car, but IIRC the other place to park is near the bus station, at the more modern end of town. A gentler slope upwards if steep hills are a challenge.

Yeah, montepulciano.

Really enjoyable restaurant right on the main piazza next to the Duomo. Very good. Owner stands outside watching the servers like a hawk.
Ristorante Ai Quattro Venti
Piazza Grande, 2, 53045 Montepulciano SI, Italy
+39 0578 717231
https://goo.gl/maps/WQRZwZmqJq82

Cool old etruscan wine cave to taste right off the piazza 100 yards. Great picture taking if you are in to scary caves. Lol

De’ Ricci
Via di Collazzi, 7, 53045 Montepulciano SI, Italy
+39 0578 757166
https://goo.gl/maps/E37CkEqwwpD2

Definitely Montepulciano. A second choice would be Pienza, particularly if you love cheese. Agree with other comments that Montalcino just isn’t that interesting.

1 Like

Spot on. Try the Cafe Pepe - espresso with a dark chocolate tablet and black pepper.

Thank you all for the information. The tough part now comes in convincing the wife.

Ed, where else will you be? Presumably neither of these is your main destination.

Alan staying basically between the two. The family and friends have spoken for other destinations. Lucky me I get to choose at least one, hopefully.

Unlike many wine towns, there is enough ‘for the whole family’ in Montepulciano, and even a brief tour of a cellar is different to many other ‘boring’ barrel stores, because these cellars are very historic (as are many of the huge barrels).

It shouldn’t be a hard sell.

1 Like

Taloso is our favorite winery in Montepulciano. It is right off of the piazza. Their Vin Santo Riserva is awesome.

One more vote for Montepulciano. It’s not even a contest.

Restaurant recommendations for Montepulciano ? We’ll be there in early October and looking for a lunch spot.

I see Ai Quattro Venti and La Grotta in the previous posts. Both look like good options. Anyone have more recent rec’s/suggestions ?

Last May we had our family grab pizzas at Trattoria di Cagnano that were very good. And of course Cafe Poliziano for sweets and cafe.

1 Like

my vote is for Montepulciano. Pienza is quite amazing as well. Both have great vibe and many nice shops. The piazza in Montepulciano is truly the ‘heart of the town’

1 Like

Montepulciano La grotta and Porta di Bacco for restaurants, Dispensa dei Golosi for drinks and snacks

Another vote here for Montepulciano and Talosa. Their cellar tour was great, and was one of the few places we shipped wine back home from. We used Siena as our hub and went to both. They’re both worth visiting, but if we had to pick one, we would pick Montepulciano again.

Circling back from our trip now that we’re home. We had the opportunity to visit both villages though spent more time in Montepulciano this time.

Montalcinio was a late lunch and walk around tasting at Enoteca di Piazza. They have a great staff and their enoteque system that has over 100 wines available to taste. Shipping home a case of wine.

We spent a good bit of one day exploring Montepulciano. The climb to the top of the tower is worth it and offers some terrific views. We had an awesome lunch on the patio at Osteria del Borgo. 2019 Vino Nobile Poliziano Ansinone and 2018 Le Ragnie Brunello were outstanding and a real treat to try side by side. Great pricing on the list as well. After lunch we ran into Scotty Scheffler and his family. This was the monday after the Ryder Cup so he was pretty low key as expected. His family was really nice and probably enjoying themselves a bit more.

Highly recommend Borgo for lunch if you visit.