La Jolla

Taking the family to La Jolla next week. We rented a house near Windandsea. Looking for some casual dining spots in the LJ/Pacific Beach area; bonus points for those with great happy hour deals. My kids are 5 and 4 so nothing too fancy.

While we’ll probably keep it fairly close to our LJ home base most nights, we would also like to venture out to downtown SD/Little Italy/etc for one evening.

WhiskNLadle is on my list, as it George’s. What else do you recommend?

Also, I’ll need a recommendation on where I can stock up on wine bottles to drink on our rooftop deck!

David- welcome to The Jewel!

I have worked in LJ for 12 years and know a thing or two about the area.

First off, for wine, go visit Ken at Bird Rock Fine Wines. He’s a super nice and knowledgeable guy and has a great inventory of diverse wines. Its an easy two minute drive or 10 minute bike ride south along LJ Blvd from Windensea. Tell him Brian sent you.

Also on the same block is Crafted Wines. Its a great wine bar with small bites. They pioneered the concept of wine straight from the barrel. Talk to Derek- he’s a good buddy of mine.

As for food, Georges is always good, but I actually prefer Eddie V’s a bit north down Prospect Street. Great food, extensive wine list, and views for DAYS… Whisknladle is great (going there for lunch today), as well as Puesto next door, and Herringbone down the street cant be missed.

In Pacific Beach, Tower 23 is great as well as Enoteca Adriana for authentic Italian. They have no corkage I believe MON-WED.

That should get you started, cheers…

Thanks Brian!