Algarve Suggestions

Heading there for the first time this fall with my wife and another couple - plan on a little golf and R&R after business in Lisbon. Looking for any suggestions on where to stay, where to eat and what to see. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

It has been more than a few years since my wife and I visited the Algarve so things may have changed. Back then I would divide the Algarve in thirds. The first 2 thirds, Eastern and Central (including Faro) was typical Euro overbuilt seaside condos and commercial. It was ok. The western third which we loved was very rustic and beautiful. Cliffs and beaches. You may know this already, but Pousadas are great places to stay and eat in Portugal. On the western end, we loved the Pousada des Sagres. There is a great web site for the Pousadas of Portugal where you can get descriptions and reserve. Pricing is fair. Can’t speak to the golf, but the views were spectacular. Love Portugal and its people.

Thanks Robert!

Little experience here, just less than a week in Tavira (a short drive or train ride from Faro). The salt marshes and salt production have prevented this becoming a high-rise beach resort, so plenty of character remains, though tourism is still very important to the local economy. Dining out crazily cheap for very tasty food. Lovely walking / birdlife around the salt marshes/pans. Good morning fresh food market and very pleasant pedestrianised town centre.

I’m told the golf resorts can be very immersive, i.e. loads of courses with nothing much nearby, so you may need to decide what balance you want e.g. happy to drive to a couple of different courses, or prefer to stay where the golf is, and have a couple of days driving away from it.