Winebars/ Enoteca in Rome and Florence?

I’m heading to Rome, Florence and Tuscany (for the first time) in early June. So primarily a sightseeing trip, however want to check out the wines too. Any recommendation for winebars to grab a bite and sample Italian wines (preferably not limited to just Tuscan wines)? Idea is to go there rather than to a restaurant, try different wines rather than ordering a bottle…

Also booked on a wine tour with Felsina. Any other wineries in Chianti worth squeezing in?

I have not been there, but I have heard good things about this place. http://www.winetastingrome.com/wine-tasting-experience/ Maybe someone with experience can say yes or no.

Strongly recommend Enoteca Pitti Gola e Cantina in Florence. Had a great dinner there, with some great wines, including 1969 Chianti Riserva.

Would give a big +1 to Randall’s recommendation in Florence, although I ended up with a '71 Chianti instead of a '69 :wink:

Enoteca Pitti looks fantastic! Thanks for the recommendation!

I don’t have direct experience with Roscioli, but I have whole group of friends who lived in Rome for years and like it a lot. Another place in Rome that is reputedly very good (again, no direct experience) is Trimani.

+1. My favorite place in Florence. Visit every time I’m there.

On wineries, Felsina is a great visit with fantastic wines, but it’s pretty remotely located. A place that’s a bit more concentrated is Panzano in Chianti, which has Fontodi, Castello dei Rampolla and La Massa all within 5 minutes from the town, and the benefit of great dining options at the restaurants of Dario Cecchini the famous butcher.

If you want something a bit more corporate but very convenient, there’s always the new Antinori winery. Not far from Florence and right off the motorway to Chianti it’s super convenient, and the architecture and facilities are exceptional. They have a wine bar, restaurant(s), and frequent tours, so it’s an easy option to drop by impromptu…

Enjoy the trip!

Had an incredible experience with Stefano Mearini, the owner of Enoteca Charleston in Arezzo, which is a small town in Tuscany. Wonderful people, great wine, amazing experience.

Just returned from Rome a month ago. I will give you the single best wine bar experience I had and then a second option also pretty great.
I’ll Vinaietto Antic Vineria in Campo de Fiori area is amazing. Small, cozy and the owner, Marco is a superb and we’ll educated host. He humbled me on my last visit and had it not been my second to last day in country I would have returned often. Here’s a tip: buy some pizza Al taglio at Antico Forno Roscioli and go see Marco. Mention the stupid American that tried to get a glass of Barolo on a Sunday morning and watch his face. He schooled me well and I deserved it. His prices are great and if he takes a liking to you you probably won’t be leaving anytime soon.
Via Monte della Farina, 38

I will post the other later.

I have lots of info. PM me if you want to chat. I will give you my telephone number. I have lots to say.

Florence: Le Volpi e L’Uva in Oltrarno, just 5 minute walk when you cross the Ponte Vecchio. A quiet oasis to get you away from the mad tourists crowd. https://www.levolpieluva.com/

Rome: Easily one of the most popular, deservedly so, local wine bar is Enoteca Cul de Sac near Piazza Navona. http://www.enotecaculdesacroma.it/

Cul de Sac is another good one. Tight and always crowded but for good reason.

My other good option is Enoteca Buccone by the Piazza del Popolo. All great choices. Enjoy.

Wow, I’m spotlit for choices here. Mike, Im staying few blocks away from ll Vinaietto Antic Vineria…will definitely drop by!

Thanks all for the recommendations!

Hi Subu. So, how was your trip? Is there an update as to where you went on your trip to Rome?
Cheers!

Hi Mike,

Had a lovely trip. Here’s a quick recap on the highlights of food/wine…

Rome:

1. Cul de Sac - loved it. visited 3 nights. Called earlier to make reservations after the first night. Loved the ambience, well-priced food and a selection of wines. Yes a bit touristy but it was well worth it. Ended up sharing a bottle of Etna on 2 of the three nights with my gf. The somm was so moved when we shared a '14 Passopisciaro with him…

2. Enoteca Ferrara - Great spot in the buzzing neighborhood of Trastevere. Cozy, pricey, but was amazed to see size of the wine list!

3. Per Me - Great spot to have lunch - great value. Incredible food. Great selection of wines even by the glass. The somm was surprised I had already had a bottle of the Carricante they newly got on their list…he taught me a lot and what to look out for.

4. Casa Bleve - you just want to go here just for the atmosphere. Lovely wine list especially the whites, great service…food was a bit disappointing though.

Vinaietto Antic Vineria was closed on two days we tried to get there. So disappointed, on the list for next time.

Florence:

1. Enoteca Pitti - Thank you all for this recommendation. Loved the food and wine combo, knowledgeable staff. Tried the Chinati vertical tasting, boy that was great. We bought a white and a red that we enjoyed back to NYC. Discovered and learnt a lot…

2. L’Osteria di Giovanni - Best Florentine steak I had…a Gaja Barbaresco wasnt too shabby either.

Tuscany:
Felsina: Wish wine tours in California was like this…great personal guided tour, explained history, types of wines…overlooked the vineyards, walk through the cellar. Left alone in a private room with 10 wines for tasting with food for an hour. Wished I didnt have to drive later. There was no pressure to buy any wine, ended up getting Rancia of '12 and '13. The '13s are really good, and was told '16s look very promising as well.

San Gimignano: Tourist hilltop town aside from the spectacular sightseeing, the wines from here; Vernaccia di San Gimignano caught me be special surprise. The riserva’s had great floral bouquet, stone fruit, persisting flavors, crisp and dry…stuff I barely see in NYC. And the top producer’s top wine is 20 euros! So got a mixed case of Italian whites to be delivered.

Thank you all for recommendations…feel free to PM me for more info!

Salute!

To follow up on Subu’s post, we just got back from 2 weeks in Tuscany & Rome (primarily based in Siena & Rome).

I was one of the folks who had recommended Enoteca Pitti y Gola in Florence to Subu, and that recommendation stands - on this visit, they literally had a 1980 Selvapiana Riserva available BY THE GLASS! My entree was a gnocchi dish with grilled octopus that was one of the food highlights of the trip.

Also hit Roscioli twice in Rome, once for lunch and we also decided to have our last dinner before heading back to the states there. If there is a better Burratta, I have yet to taste it. And they had Emidio Pepe’s Pecorino on the list - I wasn’t even aware he made one, but after my visits they now have two fewer bottles in stock [cheers.gif] .

3 nights? What’d you do? Ordered your way through the Bible-size wine list?

I know I suggested it here, but I also hoped that you’d try eating/drinking elsewhere in a great foodie city like Rome.

Seriously, glad you enjoyed.

One night it was just for a drink…my gf loved the place and wanted to revisit, so it was an easy decision :slight_smile:

Bob, yes that was memorable, so was the '71 Villa di Zano Chianti Classico… [cheers.gif]

Had lunch during our trip to Europe at Cul du Sac. Loved it. Could have spent hours on the wine list and the food was excellent also - had salmon cooked in parchment.

Haha, well done Howard! The wine list is crazy good and incredible prices too…makes me weep when I look at wine lists here in NYC!