Baden villages

Everyone knows by now about the numerous great villages of Alsace and having been there twice I’m a big fan of the region. However I was wondering how it is on the other side of the border, are there similarly idyllic towns and villages to be found in the Baden wine region? In Alsace we have enjoyed places like Eguisheim, Kaysersberg, Riquewihr and even Colmar so we are not afraid being in the midst of lots of other tourists if it is a nice place. Thank you in advance.

Gengenbach is a small town on the west side of The Black Forest and is in a similar mode as those in Alsace. Known for being a traditional German Christmas town, we did a day trip from Strasbourg during the last Christmas season and it was only about a 45 minute drive. It’s small and walkable, pretty, quaint and there’s plenty of restaurants all over.

Thanks Ramon! Sounds and looks really good.

Just a warning. I don’t know if it’s about the day we went (Dec. 26), but ALL restaurants were fully booked by the locals for lunch, except for a nice bar where we ended up in with some selections of delicious local Flammkuchen or Tarte Flambée and excellent slices of Black Forest cake,. In other words, if you go there for a meal, I would suggest you research and reserve at a restaurant just to be safe.

That is good to know. Although to be honest this is probably going to be a quick stop before driving to northern parts of Italy (Lake Orta, Cinque Terre, perhaps Piemonte) and then Savoie and Burgundy so even the dinner you mentioned will probably suffice with all the gastronomic fireworks ahead :slight_smile:

Gernsbach, just a short drive into the hills from Baden Baden, is very quaint. I’m not sure it’s up to Alsatian standards, but cute. Baden Baden itself is lovely – a major cultural center as well as a destination spot to take the waters.

Further into the hills is Bad Wildbad, an old spa town with some wonderful old bath houses.

Thanks!

If you’re near Baden-Baden, you really shouldn’t miss it.