Portugal Restaurant recommendations (various cities)

Going for 10 days with the family + 2 kids (3.5 and 1.5).

Hoping to hear suggestions for

• family friendly places
  • somewhat upscale (like a ‘nice’ place can be small or big), not like cheesecake factory types… :slight_smile:
  • no 2.5+ hrs long, no michelin star types, and nothing that’s gonna shun us if a kid steps out of line a little. :slight_smile:
  • great food, relatively calm vibe, walkable from city center is preferred, but not required we’ll have a car.

Lisbon - 2 dinners / spots needed
Sintra - 1 lunch
Cascais - 1 dinner - i hear there’s good seafood joints here?
Nazare - lunch spot w/ a view of the water?
Porto - 1 lunch
Porto - 2 dinners /spots needed (is Rui Paula DOP or any of his restaurants too much for a 1 yr old?)

Thanks!!

Tracking. Hitting Lisbon and Peniche in August. Four kids instead of two :smiley:

We were there two years ago. In Lisbon we ate at BelCanto and his pizza place (pizza Lisboa - both by Jose Avillez) both are excellent. Eleven was also excellent and had a spectacular view from the dining room. In Porto we at the Yeatman (which is across the river) definitely worth the trip - great food and views. We also ate at Pedro Lemos and DOP - both very good

Peter aren’t most of those Michelin star places? Did u have multiple kids with u and felt they were kiddie friendly?thanks!

No. Go early. There was a similarly-aged child at a nearby table when I was there.

The only non Michelin was the pizza place and next door he has a casual eatery. Not knowing your child hard to say how they would deal. We brought my then 2 year old to Mario Batali’s Del Posto and he was fine. She did fall asleep at Daniel in NYC. I would always check ahead, some restaurants do not want small children

Most places open at 7:30pm?! Is that the culture there to eat dinner later than the US? Kinda like Spain?

Keep rec coming plz :slight_smile:

I’d avoid DOP. While DOC in the Douro is amazing and one of my favorite places, DOP is the exact opposite. I’m not a fan of it and not the best place to take kids anyways.

For lunch or dinner, The Blini in Vila Nova d. Gaia (near the Ponte Luis bridge) is really good. Also has a great view. Make a reservation.
http://theblini.com/

For lunch only, Ar de Rio has good food, is no frills, and is an easy stop with kids. And it’s not expensive. The Calde Verde is really tasty. It’s on the river front in Gaia, it looks like a mobile home type building. Don’t let that turn you off.
http://www.arderio.pt/

One of my favorites around Porto/Gaia area is at the Graham’s Lodge, Vinum. The views here for dinner are amazing and so is the food and wine list. You can make lunch or dinner as long or short as you want and as it’s part of the Lodge it has a mix of people and ages, so the kids should be fine.

Restaurant Tony is also very good. Service can be a little spotty at times, but the food is really good. It’s mostly fish, so if the kids don’t like fish I’d skip.

My overall favorite is Opaparico. If anyone recommends it, don’t go. It’s not kid friendly and you will be there for at least 3 hours or more. Save it for when you don’t have kids along.

Let me know if you need more suggestions.

Thanks Andy!

Anyone with suggestions for Sinatra or nazare lunches? Cascais dinner?

in Lisbon for a few nights next month so recs appreciated. Breakfast in included at our hotel (Casa Balthazar)but lunch and dinner wide open.

Time Out Lisbon is a massive food hall that is really fun and lively…kids not a problem and everyone can get what they want.

Go early.

I was in Portugal in early 2016 - here are some of my favorites:
Lisboa - 100 Maneiras - delicate and innovative presentations with top quality ingredients -About us - 100Maneiras; Excellent wine list as well. They have a restaurant and a bistro; I ate at the restaurant and enjoyed the 7 or 8 course tasting menu.

Cervejaria Ramiro - wide variety of seafood - many dishes were simply prepared but with fresh seafood - service is a bit gruff but the food was fantastic.

Cervejaria Ribadouro - http://www.cervejariaribadouro.pt/ - off of Av. de Liberdade - centrally located - fresh seafood with a wider variety of other dishes - I had excellent service and food. Wine list was a bit basic.

Taberna dos Mecadores in Porto. It’s a tiny place close to the river. Only seats about 20 and only has two servings for dinner. They’re also open for lunch. You’ll need a reservation. Everything is fantastic, but their seafood really shines. Decent wine list as well

Following for Lisbon recs…

Quick note:

• Cantino do Avillez - Fantastic. Good service, low key enough that I didn’t worry about my kids (twin four year olds can be fun) and the food was spot on. Would have really liked to hit Avillez’s other properties.
  • Time Out Lisbon - essentially a giant mall food court, with a range of food and wine. Seating was a pain with six people and for whatever reason my wife decided to wait 30 mins to get egg rolls and dumplings while I watched the kids?!? Note: there’s a mini Garrafeira Nacional in the corner - you’re not supposed to pop and pour…
  • Pasteis de Belem - if you’re in Belem, try the original place for these things. I grabbed 2 boxes (6 per box) for ~13 euros. FWIW - there were two lines, with the right side having half the people?
  • Ramiro - going to try and make it there tonight. Strange that it was noted here, by our VRBO owner and randomly by a taxi driver. Short of hearing the audible voice of god, feels like I need to try this place :smiley:

Porto : lunch at Taylor (over the Douro, Vila Nova de Gaïa)

Lisboa : Enoteca de Belem - Travessa da Ermida

I was in Cascais 6 weeks a go. Go there: Bérrio
goos food, amazing views
Avenida Marginal - Praia da Parede, 2770-239 Parede, Portugal
Phone: +351 21 457 7356

i went to cevejaria ramiro two weeks ago and while it was fine and cheap enough i am not sure i understand the hype. the most exceptional taste was their private reserve of 5j iberico