TFL?

I realize TFL is a bit of a polarizing restaurant topic; some love it while others think it a waste of money.

My wife and I are planning our first trip to Napa this fall - in celebration of our 10yr wedding anniversary. Since we can remember, TFL has always been a ‘bucket list’ restaurant for us. Now that we will actually be spending time in Napa, we thought it would be fun to dine at TFL on our actual 10th anniversary.

I realize the dinner + pairing will set me back around $1k; I’m ok with that considering the occasion. When it comes up in conversation with friends/co-workers/family that have dined at TFL, the responses are mixed. Some claim it would be the perfect way to spend my anniversary, while others tell me to save the $1,000 and use it on 2-3 excellent dinners at other fine restaurants in Napa Valley.

Considering the circumstances and the fact that it is a bucket list item for the wife and I, would you recommend it or is it sound advice I’m getting from the ‘detractors’ that I should skip it?

Do it ! What a great way to celebrate your 10th anniversary.

I’d rather have 3 great meals then 1 sublime meal these days. Couple years ago I would have picked TFL.
What does that mean … maybe do TFL now, since you might lose interest later.

I would do it! I’ve eaten at TFL and per se several times and it never ceases to impress. The entire experience is great. I think it’d be a great way to celebrate your anniversary!

If you’re ok with $1K for a meal, then do it.

I’m guessing people say ‘save the money’ probably aren’t ok with $1k for a meal anyways.
not that they can’t afford it, but their principally against spending that much on a meal.

There aren’t many nicer places in the world to eat… (i mean sure there are, but <100 worldwide?)

IMO - If you are already worrying about the money and if it will be “worth it” It most likely won’t

and I am not saying there is anything wrong with that.

George

Tackle for loss?

David,

Based on your post, you can afford the tariff. Also, it appears to be something you and your wife have wanted to do. Accordingly, there is no reason not to do it. I think that it is particularly a good spot for a nice special occasion anniversary type of meal. You should get a hotel nearby to avoid the need to drive any distance after dinner. I cannot imagine you would not have a very enjoyable and fun time.

It may not live up to expectations. It may exceed expectations. Which of these applies will largely depend upon your expectations.

In any event, I think that you’ll enjoy having had the experience regardless of whether you might have enjoyed 2 or 3 meals at other, somewhat less expensive, places in the area.

Thanks all; just the encouragement I was looking for. We will be going and definitely looking forward to it!

Good decision!

JD

It’s much the same with other very top restaurants. Dining as an event versus dining as comfort. Food as art versus food which is satisfying. The French Laundry, IMO, can be both at it’s best, but can skew one way or the other.

It has been years since I’ve been, but unless they’ve changed, there is no wine pairing option. If you don’t want to feel like you are cutting corners, I’d budget dinner for 2 (inc. a supplement or 2) with 2-3 solid wines at $1500.

You will need / want a driver.

From my experience…My wife and I have gone to TFL once, and we did shell out $1k+.

I am certainly not a person who thinks spending $1k+ on a meal is a good idea, nor something I would do very often.

Was I apprehensive as I was fully aware what the bill would be-yes!

Were we glad we did it? Absolutely, it was an experience we will remember forever. It was a fantastic culinary and wine experience. I have never once thought it was a waste of money.

Would we do it again? Probably, but this is like a once a decade type of deal for us.

Hope this helps…have a great trip!

Last went in 2012. As a special occasion, totally worth it. Would flag that the markup on the wine list is pretty punitive, so as long as that won’t bug you too much, it’s a great experience.

Great dining experience - corkage is $150 if you have a special bottle you want to open for your anniversary.

I was wondering why there was a thread about ‘Transport for London’ and thinking it was a somewhat unusual bucket list item.

Eric, you’re not allowed to write it out. Everything must be in TLAs!

Well I was lucky enough to secure “tickets” to dine at TFL on my actual 10yr anniversary in October. Super excited!

Now I just need to figure out what else we are going to do while in Napa!

Have lunch on the Terrace at Auberge and then decide which you prefer. I would take Auberge for a weekday lunch anytime.