Recent Hamptons/North Fork Trip

Quick trip but a very fun one. Here’s an equally quick review…

SOUTH FORK
Channing Daughters
Tasting Room guy Anthony was awesome. Super knowledgeable, great energy, loves his job.
The range of wines here are impressive. Many different varietals represented, a half dozen different roses from different grapes and six, yes six different vermouths, all of which were exciting/interesting. I picked up 3 roses of very different shades for a future Rose wine dinner at my house this Spring with our neighbors and 2 variations of the vermouth for summer imbibing. Beautiful property, nice enough tasting room, incredible host, cool wood sculptures. A must visit while out there.

Wölffer Estate
Beautiful property, the tasting “room” is more like a hotel lounge/spa with a Mediterranean vibe. It was very nice, comfortable and jammin’. Whereas on a Thursday I was the only person at Channing Daughters for the first 30 mins (a couple came as I was almost wrapping up), Wölffer was packed with 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 somethings. Lovely day though a bit windy so I sat outside on the patio for a little as well as at the bar. A sparkling wine is all I tried, having had other wines of there’s in the past and running on a schedule. The sparkling wine I had was “Cool as Well” Brut BdB, named after one of their horses. It was very good and probably worth buying a bottle but I held back. The lady working the bar was very, very pleasant.

NORTH FORK
Jamesport Vineyards
Nice back yard, though not really surrounded by vines so had less of the feel I typically enjoy about tasting rooms. Alas, the tasting room manager was pleasant enough and knew quite a bit about her wines. I thought the some of their wines were very good. I did buy a bottle of their Merlot Estate Reserve, which showed the best of the six I tried. Their Sauvage, a wild fermented sauvignon blanc was pretty interesting. I bet this place is more fun in the heart of the season. A little boring but good (I was the only one there).

Kontokasta
This, on the other hand, is a showstopper. Beautiful place and would be incredible with 100 people or no one. Gorgeous property running along the Sound and in a word, is impressive. Have to see it for yourself. I only tried the Sauvignon Blanc but I liked it quite a bit. Wish I had more time to try other wines but I am certain this place isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Visually the most enjoyable and arresting of the wineries on this trip. I can’t wait to go back here.

Lieb Cellars
I skipped Shinn Estate because I’d be there before (though I loved it), was running out of time and wanted to finish up at Lieb with my cousin – it’s her favorite place (other than Shin) – and I’ve also had Shinn’s wines more often than any of the others. Glad we did. The sunset was nice from here, the tasting room was very simple and cozy, the food (cheese and charcuterie) hit the spot and the wines, of which we tried six or seven, were all good. I really liked their sparkling wine and their Chardonnay. Even their Cab Franc was showing quite well. A great place. I’d love to have these wines in the Shinn Estate tasting space. That’d be great. Definitely a place I’d return to and I’ll probably buy some more of their wines. I bought my cousin a bottle of the sparkling wine.

Lots of fun out East, both North and South. Was surprised to learn that Shinn Estate was sold earlier in the week. More news about that will surely follow…

Thanks for the note Michael. Very interesting about the Vermouths at Channing and your impression of Kontokasta. Next time I’m out in Jamesport will definitely make a point of visiting.

Thanks for the info . Will check out the “K” winery (and would like to check out Sparkliing Pointe). Although not a huge fan of any LI wines ( due to price/QPR), I do like Paumanok and their Cab Franc.

Probably of interest to anyone reading this thread: Shinn Estate has just been sold. Here’s the e-mail:

Hey everyone we’ve got some amazing news. After nearly 70 years of combined experience in the food and wine business - first in the restaurant industry and now here on Oregon Road growing wine - we have sold Shinn Estate Vineyards to Barbara and Randy Frankel who are certain to bring new energy and passion to the Estate. We will advise and consult the new owners for the foreseeable future. In addition we’ll be working on a permaculture project at our Maine farm - which we have owned for several years.
Shinn Estate Vineyards was established in 1998 with the purchase of the historic Tuthill homestead which has been continuously farmed since the 1880’s. In 2002 we bottled our first vintage with just 450 cases of wine. Currently we produce nearly 6000 cases of wine and spirits. We’d like to thank all the loyal customers who have supported our success here on Oregon Road - helping bring life, grace and clarity to our dream of sustainable living. This chapter of our lives has been beautiful in every possible way. We look forward to the next with open hearts and minds. Our story is far from over.

And that’s the News from Oregon Road,
Barbara Shinn
David Page

As I always do when something like this happens, I’m hoping for the best. I’m usually disappointed…

just a quick update:

checked out Paumanok again, it was a much better tasting experience than a year ago – flights seemed to be more sensibly organized, so I was able to try whites/sweets/reds without overlap. I did like all the wines in general, the barrel fermented chardonnay and dry riesling stood out to me and didn’t seem to be bad QPRs? Was limited in my purchasing capacity but would have picked up a couple otherwise. It’s a nice space with a great view of the vineyards and a nicely appointed tasting room and friendly staff.

I also checked out Love Lane Kitchen, it was overall a nice option for the area, friendly service.