Recs for Memorial Day Weekend in Willamette

Heading to Oregon for Memorial Day weekend. We’ll visit friends in Portland Thursday night then the plan is to head to wine country on Friday morning. We’re hoping to at least beat some of the weekend crowds on Friday morning and early afternoon. We’ll head back to Portland at some point on Sunday.

I’ve read the various threads here (very helpful) but have read that Memorial Day weekend is the busiest of the year there. Does anyone have any recs for Memorial Day weekend specifically? Areas to avoid, special tastings, traffic, etc.

Thanks in advance.

My hints:

Starting Friday afternoon, stay off Hwy. 99. You will be OK Sunday going back to Portland only if you start before noon.
Even the other routes, east to Wilsonville, or north through Gaston, will be a major headache in the afternoon.

Choose small wineries to visit, ones that are below the radar of the popular press.

Have an itinerary that leaves plenty of room for delays and pauses.

You can avoid a lot of driving hassles by concentrating on a few areas that have a full day’s potential tasting experience within walking distance, i.e. Carlton and the east side of McMinnville.

Wineries down near Salem, Bethel Heights, Bjornson, St Innocent, etc. are less mobbed than the wineries closer to Portland.

You happen to be in the McMinnville area of Eyrie, Matello, Westry et. al., take a beer break at Heater Allen.

Have a designated driver, or spit religiously; preferable both.

P Hickner

Gypsy Dancer in Carlton.

Disclaimer: none. This is shameless self promotion as I will be guest pouring there Saturday and Sunday. Come visit.

Thanks, Peter and Todd.

Todd - I’ll plan to stop by. We’re going to stay somewhere near Carlton.

Thanks again!

Memorial Day weekend in the Valley is not as busy as it has been in the past. You run into traffic headed for the Beach, so definitely get out of Portland well before noon. The traffic headed back on Sunday won’t be that bad - Monday will be the really bad day. If you are staying in Carlton you can avoid most of the traffic by heading back to Portland via Hendricks Rd to Kuehne Rd to Highway 240 (this is the way to Ribbon Ridge, so you may have already been on it), and you will miss the Dundee traffic disaster.

If you make it to McMinnville (as you should), please stop by the Brewery and say hi. We will be open on Friday (3-5) and Saturday (Noon-5) and Saturday is our 10th anniversary so we’ll be pouring all sorts of interesting stuff.

I would pick three or four places tops. It is bustily, have a fine lunch and dinner plan.

Thanks very much, guys. Here’s what we’re thinking:

Friday:
Arrive mid morning from Portland where we’ll stay with friends on Thursday night. We are staying at an AirBnB just west of Carlton.

Lunch in Carlton then visit wineries in the Carlton area - Belle Pente, Anne Amie - then McMinnville for Eyrie, Westrey, and Goodfellow if possible. We’ll also stop by Heater Allen, Rick! My wife loves to taste wine but she’ll be ready to sit down for a beer at some point.

We’ll then have dinner in McMinnville. I made a reservation at La Rambla but we aren’t 100% on it yet. Thistle is on Saturday night with friends. Any other recs? If this seems like a lot, I am fairly quick at wineries. No lengthy tours, etc.

Saturday:
Newberg, Dayton, and Dundee: Patricia Green, Argyle (bubbles), maybe Domaine Drouhin. I am undecided on the rest. Considering J. Christopher and Winderlea. I’d also like to stop by Valley Wine Merchants.
Todd - we’ll probably stop by Gypsy Dancer first since we’ll be going through Carlton to get to Patricia Green.

Dinner at Thistle.

Sunday:
Maybe a tasting or two if we missed someone we really wanted to see. Head back to Portland.

Definitely visit J Christopher. See if you can get an appt at Brick House in Dundee, Crowley in Newberg or Arterberry Maresh in Dundee (the Maresh Red Barn may be pouring a few of their wines and don’t require an appointment).

Skip La Rambla and do Pura Vida.

David!!! It has been too long. I hope you are well and you will have a great time in OR.

Sounds like you have a good plan. I’ll throw in my 2 cents, which is make sure you make it to Goodfellow. If you decided to do lunch in McMinnville rather than Carlton, you could easily do a walking tour. Goodfellow/Matellow, Eyrie, Westey, Heater Allen, and you could also hit Remy Wines. I am a fan of Valley Commissary for lunch. It is on the same property as Matello.

If you do anything in East Portland, you can go visit Thomas at the S.E. Wine Collective.

Best,

Jason

Thanks, Jason! Hope you’re doing very well. If you get to Houston soon, please reach out!

I would definitely like to stop by Goodfellow. I haven’t see whether they’ll be open on those days or not. I’ll send a note to Marcus to check. I’m also planning to go to Valley Commissary for a meal at some point, likely lunch.

Thanks again for the tips!

+1 for J. Christopher.

We’re bottling Friday, so unfortunately I won’t be able to meet you then but we are open Saturday from 11-4pm, and I would be happy to show you around then.

See you Saturday.

Woowhoo! You are going to have a great time.

Jason