International Driving Permit

Anyone do it? Supposedly Italy police require it or you get a ticket if pulled over.

Why Carry an IDP?

Your IDP is a valid form of identification in 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information. It translates your identification information into 10 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don’t. Most countries highly recommend an International Driving Permit.

An IDP gives you peace of mind while you’re out exploring the world - even if you’re not planning to drive!

How to Apply?
AAA is one of only two private entities in the U.S. authorized by the U.S. Department of State to issue an IDP.*
You will need to provide:

• Download and fill out an application, and bring it to your nearest AAA branch office**.
  • Two original passport pictures (also available at AAA branch offices**).
  • A valid U.S. driver’s license.
  • Pay $20USD permit fee and you’re ready to go!

If you are not able to visit your nearest AAA branch office, your IDP can be obtained through the mail. Simply enclose the following and mail them to the AAA office nearest you (check locally for payment options):

You will need to provide:

• Your completed IDP application form
  • Two original passport pictures each signed on the back
  • $20USD permit fee
  • A photocopy of both sides of your driver’s license

If desired, include additional U.S. funds for expedited return mail service. See USPS.com, Fedex.com or UPS.com for rates.

[edit] update cost and process

I have picked one up every time I’ve planned to drive in Europe but I’m never sure whether it is worth it. So far no one has ever asked to see it but I’ve also never been pulled over. They are good for one year after start date so you may be able to amortize over more than one trip depending on your travel schedule. Start date is at your option and can be a future date from when you pick up at AAA.

Never ever been asked for it.

I stopped about 15 years ago. You certainly don’t need it to rent a car. Must be 10 European car rentals since. Never pulled over though.

I was asked for it when pulled over at a DUI checkpoint outside Pamplona during San Fermin. Seemed pretty clear there would have been an issue if I did not have. Worth the $30 (IIRC) every time I leave the country.

I got one for my last two trips. Too simple and cheap to risk it being an issue. Took 10 mins at my local AAA.

Yep, me too.

I thought they lasted a few years. I got one when I moved here but never needed one in Europe. I may post Brexit I suppose.

From rick steves:

You may hear contradictory information on exactly where you need an IDP. People who sell them say you should have them almost everywhere. People who rent cars say you need them almost nowhere. People who drive rental cars say the IDP is overrated, but can come in handy as a complement to your passport and driver’s license. It’s a good idea to get one if you’ll be driving in > Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Romania, Slovenia, or Spain > — countries where you’re technically required to carry a permit, since you could be fined if found without one. If all goes well, you’ll likely never be asked to show this permit — but it’s a must if you end up dealing with the police.

I got my first one when driving in Austria.

You must have one to drive in Japan, it is required by the police if stopped and you will not be able to rent a car without it. That’s the only country I’ve been to where you cannot rent without.

I was in an accident in Italy 2 years ago, and did not have one. The police didn’t ask for one. Good to know it’s specifically recommended for Italy and Spain.

I believe they only last a year. I have had to get a new one for Japan every year, unless I happen to be just within the one year expiration period.

I was asked for one when renting a car in Rome. No where else. In Paris now didn’t need one. I have only been stopped once in Virgin Gorda… and they asked for it there believe it or not.

George

I’ve never “needed” one but I usually get one because it is only a handful of shekels and a 15 minutes visit to a local AAA office. Toss it in the carry on and forget about it.

People drive in Virgin Gorda?

Very helpful post Chris!

Brig,
Thanks for listing this. Going to Spain this summer and renting a car. Might as well get one.

I was pulled over in Barcelona. Provided an International Driving Permit to the traffic cop who pulled me over and he looked at it like it was hieroglpyhs. The permit played no role in the outcome of the stop.

Another issue to consider is whether you’ll be covered by insurance if you have an accident while driving without one. Further, since you’re in violation of law by simply driving without proper license, any accident may be legally deemed to be your fault regardless of what the other driver does.

I have considered the liability insurance - it’s always provided by the car rental company and they require a valid drivers license, not a IDP. An IDP is NOT a valid drivers license, it’s the formal translation of your license. There may be a country that will void the insurance if you don’t have it (Czech republic per one site), but it’s not because you don’t have a license.

I’d be interested if anyone has any evidence to the contrary. I would also include Collision Damage Waiver.

My personal opinion, read the terms and conditions of your car rental contract.

I’ve been driving rental cars throughout Europe for decades without an IDP. We are heading back to Greece in June, where we always rent a car on Mykonos. I’ve never been asked to show an IDP when renting a car or at any other time. However, this thread motivated me to check with the US Embassy Athens website: https://athens.usembassy.gov/mobile//driving_in_greece.html

“International Driver Permits: Tourists and temporary residents who plan to stay in Greece up to six months, must carry a valid U.S. license as well as an International Driving Permit. American citizens who plan to stay in Greece more than 6 months, according to local law, need to convert their U.S. driving license into Greek.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
If a U.S. tourist in Greece is stopped by traffic police and is found to drive without the proper documentation (valid U.S. license together with International Driving Permit or, Greek Driving license, if he/she has exceeded 6 months of stay in Greece) the U.S. citizen may be arrested and face trial.

Some Greek rental car agencies sometimes rent cars to tourists without informing them of problems that might occur if one is driving without the proper documentation.”

Looks like I’ll pick one at AAA.