Vegas and Grand Canyon family trip recs

Planning to go there next April ie 2018 with wife and two daughters - very fit 11 and 12 year olds by then. Would really appreciate recommendations on where to stay in vegas and at the canyon. Plus what and how to do it at the canyon. Everything from heli rides through mule tours, white water rafting and hiking! We’ll probably stay 3-4 days in each.

Thanks in advance!

We enjoyed a couple of days out at Zion. But our eldest was only nine months so totally different.

The Canyon is a pretty good haul from Vegas. You can go to either the North rim or the South (more popular). Both drives are out of the way. There are cabins on the North end with the South having more options. The mention of Utah is an alternative; five parks fairly close together. These are a day or so from Vegas, but you can do more than one. This is some of the scenery in the old John Wayne movies; southern Utah/Arizona.

Vegas lodging runs the gamut from Motel 6 to Bellagio Strip experiences.

Lodging at the south rim of the Canyon is pretty basic unless you stay at El Tovar. Even then is still not entirely luxurious.

There are a multitude of day hikes to follow from the south rim village and some limited camping opportunities in the canyon which requires special passes.

One of the best ways to see a great deal of what the canyon can offer is a five day raft trip. Drop in near the Glen Canyon damn and spend 5 days on the river. Various outfitters can be found. Generally you’ll spend half the day floating/running rapids and the other half hiking and camping. It is a wonderful trip.

On the fifth day you can be dropped off at the bottom of the canyon just below the south rim village and hike out. That is a good 5-6 hour hike that is somewhat tough. Particularly so when carrying back packs.

Spots on these rafting trips are very limited and sell out far in advance.

Utah is a different kind of experience since the parks are a bit more manageable with easier access in and out. The Grand Canyon requires and deserves a commitment.

Can’t comment on the strip with kids that age, other than I wouldn’t want to do it. If I was taking my kids, I’d probably stay off strip, maybe at one of the condo villages that have amenities for families.

We did a private Papillon Heli tour from Vegas in '09. Fly over Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, then onto the Western edge, then fly into the canyon and eventually land near the bottom for a leisurely lunch, then back to Vegas.
5 or 6 hours total time with an hour or so on the ground in the Canyon? Incredible and would do it again in a minute, we have some great memories from that.
Rafting looks very cool as well, but we just didn’t have the time.

Thanks everyone. Really helpful. In terms of vegans accommodation we’d be looking at the 5* end. Given the family dynamic, any recs amongst the myriad of options?

I always stay at the Wynn - hands down the best hotel on the Strip, IMO.

Wife and I just got back from a trip to Vegas, and then drove to the Canyon and on to Santa Fe. Things were so crowded with spring breakers at the South Rim that we bailed after a 1/2 day and went to Sedona. The accommodation, hiking, town, etc. were all much more enjoyable there.

Just had another recommendation from a colleague for the wynn towers.

Think we’re now looking at a slightly different trip:

3-4 days in LA
Drive to furnace creek 1-2 days there
Drive to vegas and stay there 3-4 days with the heli tour of the canyon that Chris described above.

When I was a young teen, I hiked down the Bright Angel trail with my dad. It was an amazing experience…one of the best vacations ever. I’m not sure of the weather in April, but as long as you’re packing water and electrolytes, you can probably manage with younger kids. One of my favorite places in the world.

Going on this exact trip Tomorrow with Wife and Daughter 13. We are going to the south rim and staying at the lodge there then going to Vegas for a few days staying at Ceasers. Things we have arranged are hiking at the canyon the easier trails although my daughter is and wife are fine my knees can no longer do 15 or 20 miles. If you can and it is warmer look into hiking to the Havasupai Falls I have done it about 12 mile we may try depends on the weather great if you can get in the water bucket list type of place. The canyon kind of speaks for itself. In vegas we have show tickets to a couple of Cirqu shows and a magic show at the LINQ. We also got High roller tickets also at the LINQ (the huge farris wheel there and tix to zip line across Fremont street ( Daughter and friend only) finally if staying at a Ceasers property you can use any of the pools at our ceasers properties we have them doing the flo rider at Planet Holiday hotel. and the roller coaster at NY NY two last things for us are the botanic cactus garden my kid love cactus. and the Neon museum again her plan this used to be an old neon boneyard that they are trying to spruce up and monitize I am glad they will not lose old Vegas the one I grew up on.

Are you going to LA for Disneyland/Universal? If so, I guess that’s the typical family thing to do. Otherwise you wouldn’t get me near LA for any reason. I’d much rather take my family to GC, or Utah national parks. Did two long driving trips with family through northern part of the west, and then southerly. Driving through Death Valley is interesting, but frankly I wouldn’t stay there, I’d move on through.

All depends on what kind of experience you want. Keep in mind you don’t have that many years left where your kids will want to do this kind of stuff. Don’t waste those years [cheers.gif]

depends on the kids and what they’re open to, but I think there’s more family stuff to do in LA than just Disneyland/Universal. Santa Monica pier, Griffith observatory (fun if your kids/family saw La La Land), LACMA in mid city and the Broad museum in downtown, Huntington Library gardens in Pasadena, California Science Center with the space shuttle. Unparalleled ethnic food. Hiking – too many places to list, some with stunning views of the Pacific Ocean, Hollywood sign (fun for some :slight_smile:, mountains, etc. Malibu. Shopping in Beverly Hills, maybe for your better half haha.

I’m just biased. Hate is not strong enough of a word for how I feel about LA :wink: Born there, had to go there to visit family as a kid in the 60s and early 70s when the smog was atrocious. Have to drive through there couple times every year to get to San Diego. Yeah, there’s lots of stuff there, but for me, I’d go somewhere else.