San Sebastian Dining

Planning a few days in San Sebastian. The dining scene is a bit overwhelming - too many to choose from! What are your favorites in San Sebastian? Probably will have time for one blow out dinner, one casual dinner, and one TBD? Thanks in advance.

make sure to get to asador etxebarri, no fail. about an hour away.

There are a number of threads both in the Travel Forum and Epicurean Exploits. Just do a search. The info is all still relevant.

Tons of great places. Really enjoyed the Pinxtos scene.

I will say we had a bad meal at Azurmendi. While it could be a one off etc. etc. I would never go back. Both food and service were bad.

George

This.

Thanks Sarah - I hadn’t checked the Epicurean Bboard. Interesting and detailed posts.

Thanks George - yes thinking an evening of the Pinxtos scene will be perfect for the casual dinner. Did you do this on your own? We’re staying at the Maria Cristina and saw that they offered a Pinxtos experience.

We won’t be in Bilbao so this is definitely out of the way. Is it worth giving up the thalassotherapy at La Perla for another lunch?

Etxebarri isn’t in Bilbao, it’s about a 45 minute drive from both San Sebastian and Bilbao. In the middle of nowhere. I’d rather eat there than anywhere in either city.

Agreed, although to me Arzak is a really close second.

The Maria Cristina, a very nice hotel, is centrally located and is an easy walk to a lot of very good pintxos bars. If you’re familiar with the tapas concept, it’s very easy, although in some places you’ll just be pointing if you don’t know Basque. Be adventurous and you’ll have a great time.

Noooo!! Here’s the pinxtos experience you should do. The hotel is great but you’d be devastated if you missed out on this part. Walk from your hotel to the old igleis San Sebastian and start at Atari next to the church. 5 minute walk.

At Atari get a pinxto, one only, and a glass of Txakoli the Spanish white. Do it like a local. Save the toothpick on your plate because that is your bill.

Then start walking and pop into another place that catches your eye and repeat. There are 100 pinxtos joints within 100 yards. Explore the alleyways and eat at 5 or 6 places, that’s what the Spaniards do, hit and run. I mean the Basque.

I found this video of a guy pintxtos exploring to give you an idea.

Aq90wny1ocA

And of course Rick Steves gives a great overview of SB.

3M845LgkjQY

Yes, Pinxtos is easily done by yourself. Part of the fun is seeing a cool place and stopping in. Going on a “tour” would limit that. Certain places have specialties. Your hotel will probably give you a card that lists these. Some of them are fun to seek out IMO.

There are previous threads on this and I would strongly suggest listening to some or all Sarah K’s recommendations.

We had a great lunch at Akellare. Great view!

George

Fun place.
Not too fussy.
Great wine list with good prices.
Very interesting menu.
An asador so everything is smoked in some way.
Fascinating and delicious.
Beautiful setting.

I love the Pinxto crawl in the old town next to the Maria Christina (a great hotel btw). You can have a different experience every night of your visit. Fabulous food.

I love Getaria which is about 20 minutes away. A sea town with a couple of great restaurants. Have the barnicles.
Elkano
Kaia-Kaipe

Awesome - thanks everyone for the great recommendations.

Elkano in Getaria is a must - one of our favorite meals overall in Spain - incredible seafood and a terrific well priced wine list. As we were thinking back on where we ate in San Sebastian (including the ** and *** places), we decided that we would have been well served to have gone back for another meal!!

As a less food focused experience (though the food was very good), consider Rekondo for its astounding and well priced wine list…great selection of older vintages as well (we went with two birth year wines).

I was not blown away by Extebarri. It was good, but it’s a hassle to get too. We hit it on the way from Rioja to San Sebastian, so it was kind of on the way. Not sure I would leave San Sebastian to go all the way to Extebarri. The setting is beautiful though.

We had a fantastic meal at Rekondo. The chuleton at Rekondo was as good as the famous steak at Extebarri. The wine list is ridiculous. Multiple birth year (1970) wine options for crazy low prices.