Punta Mita - MX

Looking to do a summer trip here with the family. My “boys” are 19 and 15. Want to SCUBA and hang out on the beach and around the pool. Probably going to rent a very nice condo. Looking for any feedback, restaurants things to do etc. A day trip to the Marietta islands is in the works.

Thanks,

George

Not much good diving in and around Punta Mita. Sayulita is lovely & fun tho, so stay near there if you are not going to be at a resort. You can rent Jet Skis on the beach & there is a surfing scene there. my fave restaurant is the Sayulita Cafe - Casa De Chile Relleno

I love the Four Seasons near there, and the St Regis…

Eric,

Have you dove the area. I am reading different things but would like to hear from someone with firsthand experience.

Thanks!

George

I have not, but every time we have looked into it, we’ve been told it was not a thing to do there, IIRC it was mentioned that the visibility is poor.

I have heard the same. We are looking to go in the summer. Supposed to be much better and warmer water then. Dive shop says up to 130ft vis which seems awful high.

George

Have you checked out Scubaboard? It’s the Wineberserkers of Scuba (if that makes sense?)

Yes there is not a ton of information. It definitely seems like diving is much better in the summer.

George

Are you locked into going there? And are you going primarily for scuba? Better places in Mexico for scuba.

No definitely not locked in at all. Just looked like an interesting place to go. I have never been to the west coast of Mexico. I have been to the east coast and Cozumel many times and well aware of the diving there.

We are looking at Bonaire as an option also as obviously the diving is amazing. My wife doesn’t dive but loves to snorkel. I was thinking Punta Mita might give her some more options of things to do while we are diving over Bonaire.

George

Been all across Mexico over the years - Punta Mita, Playa, Zihuatanejo, Acapulco, etc. and have settled on Cabo as my place. Great resorts, food, fishing, nightlife. Can’t speak to the diving but it’s supposed to be decent.

as was mentioned up thread, Sayulita is nice if you want to focus on surfing versus scuba. It’s a town of tourists and expats but very laid back, safe with good food options, etc. The break is consistent and a great place to practice. The town just to the north has arguably better restaurants and is even quieter.