latest wine in the cargo hold?

Any concerns about bringing a 12 btl shipper on the plane in checked luggage? I may have another bag to check so it would be a 2nd piece in Delta.

Assuming you pack well or have a safe shipping container, you shouldnt have a problem. I have never broken a bottle in checked luggage. Though I have run into an issue with weight a couple of times (weight limit is 50 lbs for non-elite members).

Never had any issues; have done this 20+ times, most recently last year FRA-DTW on Delta.
In fact all of my trips with cases of wine were on Delta, and the wine was always in a standard wine shipper (cardboard box/styrofoam inserts).

I believe Delta requires a styrofoam shipper, no pulp/cardboard/etc separators.

I’ve heard this from customers who were very specific about the shipper they needed.

Otherwise, I’ve had great luck using shippers as well as putting wine in my normal suitcase (I’ve done 8 bottles stuffed in clothing in a standard sized checked bag several times).

I’m trying to guess what force would be required to smash a bottle of wine packed in a decent styro tube / block? My guess is it would take something very substantial.

I think the only concern would be the cost if it is a second bag.

B.

I’ve done it many times. Would actually recommend getting one of Todd’s Wine Check rolling carriers to go along with it, makes things much easier.

Depends on what you’re shipping in. I would be most comfortable with a dedicated wine shipping bag, still quite comfortable with a styro (or other) container with the bottles standing up, and less comfortable with a pulp lay-flat. I’ve had nothing but perfect experiences with the first two, but I’ve had enough issues shipping cases in pulp lay-flats via common carriers (which we no longer do) that the unusual handling of an airport baggage system might give me a bit of pause. I’m sure others with specific experience with those can chime in more credibly…

I do it all the time but I use one of these wine suitcases https://vingardevalise.com/ They certainly aren’t cheap but I use mine all the time. I have had issues with the 50# economy class weight limit before. Some producers like those in Mendoza use very heavy bottles. If I am not flying business class where the weight limit is 70#, it is still less expensive for me to pay for excess luggage than it is to ship the wine home from another country. I prefer to have my wine with me than to worry about if it will be shipped, the weather in route, the time to receive etc. Like many of you, I might even be reimbursed by my credit card issuer if I haven’t used up my $200 in benefits.

I’ve used the Vingarde Valise successfully a dozen or so times, but had a bottle break during my last use. There’s a huge dent on the corner of the case, so I attribute this to baggage mishandling. The best part was rolling a suitcase dripping pinot noir from the baggage claim to customer service. And the broken shards of glass and stained wine labels!

If you’re asking with regards to temperatures in the cargo hold, nothing to be concerned about.

Be aware that your box or case will likely get opened. I’ve never had any issue with theft, but checking wine in both a styro shipper and a custom wine suitcase, I’ve usually had them opened and inspected behind the scenes.

Done this with styro shipping containers probably a hundred times including int’l. Never an issue but I do avoid peak summer months. They are often searched these days.

CliftonD, I hope I don’t have the same experience as you had. Given the foam inserts and foam cover above the bottles, it is hard to imagine what happened to cause breakage. I have had that happen with shipping cartons though. As for opening the cases, all checked baggage is subject to being opened so that is no surprise. My latest wine suitcase has an integrated TSA compliant lock but TSA can open it at will.

We had wine stolen (lost?) out of our checked bags coming home from Spain. So it can happen

+1

I’ve had Southwest and AA open my box to make sure it was styro. They said cardboard/pulp type ones are not allowed. Other than that I’ve flown dozen of times with wine boxes without issue.

VinGarde Valise is not ISTA rated for safe wine travel, unlike The Wine Check, as the latter uses wine shipper boxes, which do have the ISTA rating/approval. The bottles are quite close to the edges on VGV, which I suspect is part of the issue.

I’ve checked wine in styro shippers on United and Southwest. They’ve asked what type of container was being used, then slapped a FRAGILE sticker on the box, which I thought might be interpreted as “Throw me as far as you can”, but I haven’t had any problems. Just last month on Southwest the woman at the counter said they were not responsible for damage, only loss, which was not reassuring.

Correct, the bottles are close to the corners on the VGV which is where the fracture occurred. Perhaps the B6 “Mint” tag, lack of wheels, and orange luggage tag enticed the baggage handler to test their luggage toss skillz. [snort.gif]

I bought my Wine Check (the no logo incognito version) at Berserker Day 2012 and it has traveled many thousands of air miles without incident.

In case anyone is concerned that I’m pimping for management, I still hate pepsi