Potomac area restaurants?

Looking to send gift cert. a dinner for cousins who put my family up for a weekend.

Thanks.

Potomac, Maryland, i assume? What kind of restaurant? If you’re looking for something on the casual side, Founding Farmers (they have a few locations in the DC area … but one’s in Potomac), Tower Oaks Lodge (part of the Clyde’s Family) or the newish Stanford Grill might be nice. If you’re looking for something a little nicer, you might want to consider a place in DC instead (Le Diplomate, Kinship, The Dabney, Central) all come to mind, but there are a zillion others.

Yeah, maryland Something nice, but not 4 star level, prefereably non-chain, a non-foodie couple could have a nice dinner at.

The Irish Inn in Glen Echo is a pleasant place.

In Bethesda, not far away, Jaleo (Spanish tapas by Jose Andres) or Kapnos (Greek). Higher end Bistro Provence (French from longtime great French chef Yannick Cam).

Most of the nicer non-foodie restaurants near Potomac, I’m afraid, are going to technically be a “chain” – although I would characterize them slightly different – as part of a local restaurant group, where each individual restaurant is really its own entity with unique menu items or points of view. (Trust me, very different than an Olive Garden (low end chain) or a Ruth Chris (high end chain) type situation).

So I’d still suggest Founding Farmers, Stanford Grill and Tower Oaks. Agree with Howard’s suggestion for Jaleo and Kapnos, too. Also in Bethesda is Woodmont Grill or across the street is Black’s (seafood) – both consistently good food and respected dining venues.

Jaleo in Bethesda has a good list and welcomes corkage. I liked the tapas there better than downtown. Keep in mind Potomac is 20-30 minutes from Bethesda depending on traffic and time of day.

I didn’t realize that corkage was permissible in MD (or at least Montgomery County) now.

Anywhere in Maryland I believe-restaurant option

Yes. We have often BYOed to Bistro Provence.

BYOB is illegal in Montgomery County. From the MoCo Liquor board –
"6.11 Illegal Consumption Article 2B, Section 12-107(b)
(a) Except in the case of a permanent Class C consumption license
issued by this Board, it is unlawful for any person to consume on the licensed
premises of any licensee any alcoholic beverages not purchased from the licensee
on the said premises. It is also unlawful for any licensee to permit any person to
consume any alcoholic beverage not purchased from the licensee on the premises
covered by the license and not permitted by the law to be consumed on the
premises. "

Class C licenses are for (mainly) membership-only clubs

I think the state law superseded this reg.

I did some digging and I stand corrected.

Maryland state code
§ g2b-12-107 Retailers must purchase alcohol from specific manufacturers, unless they have a special license.
i. An individual in a restaurant, club, or hotel for which a Class B or Class C license allowing the sale of wine is issued may consume wine not purchased from or provided by the license holder only if:

1. The wine is consumed with a meal during the hours of sale specified by the license;
  2. The individual receives the approval of the license holder;
  3. The wine is not available for sale on the license holder’s wine list; and
  4. The license holder obtains a permit from the local licensing board before allowing an individual the privilege of consuming wine not purchased from or provided by the license holder.
    ii. A local licensing board shall issue a permit at no charge to each license holder who seeks to allow an individual to consume wine under the conditions specified in subparagraph (i) of this paragraph.

Requires the licensee to fill out an extra form with the MoCo liquor board