Carrying wine into Canada (from US) - declare?

I did a quick search here, but didn’t see anything discussed. Simple question, but we never carry items either direction needing declaration, so this is new to me.

Canada allows 2 bottles duty free per person. So, if I bring 2 bottles from my collection (i.e. NOT from the duty free shops), do I need to declare them and go through the customs line stating that? Or, since I’m within the limits, can go through the “nothing to declare” line?

What about cigars within allowances?

If you say I have 2-3 bottles you will be waived along.

I’ve taken a case in and a case out of Canada. I’ve always declared the wine at the border. So far no one has bothered to charge me a duty.

Forgot to clarify, this will be via airline travel through Vancouver.

I guess I’ll fill out the form as declaring the 2 bottles allowed. (Don’t need more for this short trip since no BYO allowed up there.)

On the form, you can state that you are within the permitted allowances, so you don’t have to actually declare the bottles on the form—you only write it out if you’ve exceeded the quantity, which is 2 per person.

Having said that, I’m speaking from the perspective of a Canadian citizen returning with wines rather than a visitor. I think the max value to bring in is $60, but not sure. Best to possibly check Canada Customs website, Chris. However, at the end of the day, it is as Chris says----if you just state you have 2-3 bottles, you should have no difficulties.

The main Province of difficulty is Ontario because it is in the customs official’s discretion to charge the Provincial liquor tax.

Mike