1 Dinner in London?

I read through most of the threads it seems Gordon Ramsey is disappointing, don’t want to do Alain Ducasse. So where do I go? I would prefer something with a British focus but it isn’t 100% necessary. Was thinking Heston Blumenthal’s? That seems very British but really have no clue. Staying at the London Edition but more than willing to go wherever.

Thanks,

George

I loved The Ledbury. Not really British focused but amazing. A bit of a trek to Notting Hill from the Edition, you’ll have to take a cab or the tube with a bit of a walk from the station.

+1 on the ledbury - great experience.

We were not wowed with our tough reservations New Year’s eve dinner at HB’s. Very British, yes. Wine is expensive, but I kinda expected. Good service, but I kinda expected. It’s just that none of our (wife and I) 4-course dishes impressed.

edited to add: went to Dinner by Heston Blumenthal

Need to clarify if Heston means Diner or The Fat Duck.

I think the best restaurant in London is The Araki. But with your criteria I would go for Hedone.

Bear in mind I’m not a Londoner any more…

The Ledbury, Hedone, or Kitchen Table.

Hedone is the most modern, The Ledbury has the most precise cooking, Kitchen Table is the most fun. I miss Pierre Koffmann…

I’m not sure I’d agree that the cooking is more precise at the Ledbury, it’s more complex for sure.

Anyway you won’t have a bad meal at either.

Don’t know Kitchen table. Appeals less to me personally.

If I was just doing one dinner only, I’d be tempted to go to the Fat Duck although I haven’t been since it reopened.

Though it’s worth mentioning the Fat Duck isn’t in London but about an hours travel outside.

+1 for Kitchen Table, grab some grower champagnes outside at Bubbledogs first, and head in for dinner, quite an interesting concept both ways.

Ledbury is good too, well executed dishes, but just another 2 star michelin if you ask me, reasonably priced wines for a 2 star restaurant.

I love the Ledbury, although my last meal wasn’t up to par.

My favorite is Pollen Street Social, more centrally located than the Ledbury. I ate there twice in 5 days last fall.

Our favorite London restaurant is Le Gavroche. Order the cheese soufflé. A chef friend has been trying to duplicate it for two years. Even with the recipe we are close but still no cigar.

We had a great meal at J Sheekey if you’re into excellent seafood and friendly service.

If your going for the high-end michelin/white tablecloth experience, probably Ledbury or Hedone. If you want to check out something wine-focused maybe Noble Rot or 110 Taillevent. My personal favorite is St. John (nose to tail eating) and 40 Maltby Street (neighborhood wine bar/restaurant open Wed-Sat south of the river) but both are more casual.

Hedone doesn’t have tablecloths. :wink:

We had a largely wonderful meal at The Ledbury. And they had a surprisingly well priced wine list. But it was a pain to get to.

That meal did suffer from having a friend of the house seated next to us so we got to see all sorts of wonderful extras constantly appearing on his table that did not show up on ours.

That’s really poor service. Most places bring it right to the table.

Let me guess. You’ll be here all week and I should try the chicken?

It’s worse than you think. I’m not leaving. And that’s not chicken.

Thank you everyone! Great info.

George