Dominican Republic- puerto plata

Any restaurant recs for this area? Going in about a month and don’t know much about the area or the dinning.

Thanks

Seth

Seth: Wish I could help on specifics. We have been there twice but stayed at “all inclusive resorts.” Not our usual cup of tea but it was a family thing. The town itself is fun, hire a guide if you can. Try to see the amber museum…Quite fascinating. The big purchase item is larimar, a beautiful stone only found in the D.R. We did have some nice meals in town but just really local places and I do not remember the names. Overall, we had a great time and I look forward to returning.

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

don’t leave without some larimar or amber. :slight_smile: can’t help with restos, I too stayed at an all-inclusive—and that was 30 + years ago!

don’t leave without some larimar or amber. :slight_smile: can’t help with restos, I too stayed at an all-inclusive—and that was 30 + years ago!

Thanks for the replies guys.

Seth,

Been a couple of decades since I myself have been up to Puerto Plata. That said, I would go to Sosua (about 30 minutes away) or Cabarete (about an hour drive away) for low key, simply prepared seafood and world-class windsurfing.

Puerto Plata has been a downer for me. I got caught up in a traffic jam and my bus had to drive by the wreck on the way to airport for the return flight to the US.

From the Orlando Sentinel.

Pop Musician Falco Dies In Puerto Plata Accident
OTHER NEWS TO NOTE - The World
February 8, 1998
SANTO DOMINGO, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC — Pop musician Falco died Friday in a traffic accident in the north coast tourism town of Puerto Plata, local authorities said. The Austrian-born singer and musician, whose original name was Johann Holzel, was leaving an entertainment complex on the highway between Puerto Plata and Sosua at 7 p.m. local time Friday. As Holzel pulled onto the highway, his Jeep was hit by a bus. Holzel was best known in the United States for the 1986 hit ``Rock Me Amadeus.‘’

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/austrian-superstar-falco-dies