LOVING the American Express Platinum Business card!!!

Seriously, I think I’ve finally maximized a system for travel rewards/redemption, and I’m sharing the love…

I’ve had an Amex Platinum Business card for about 10 years, with 1-2 years where I downgraded to Gold somewhere in there. Because Jen has Gold status with American Airlines, I figured it would make sense for me to chase American Elite status, and here’s how it’s going down…

With the Amex Platinum you get to choose one airline where you will not only get $200 credit (not on tickets, only on ancillary expenses) BUT you get 50% of your redeemed Rewards points back when purchasing through the Rewards program.

I’ve got three trips on American starting March 17th, and I’ll be calling American to take the Elite Status Challenge, whereby I fly 12,500 EQMs in 90 days to get Platinum status at a cost of $200 (7,000 for Gold status, cost of $120). By the end of our Spring Break trip in April (to Maui) I’ll have my Platinum status, and it will have cost me NOTHING as I’ll be using the Amex credit to cover that $200 (stupid fee, otherwise), and I used 240,000 Rewards points to buy the American tickets for all 4 of us…and will be getting half of them back!!!

WELL worth the $450 annual fee!!!

Plus you can show it at the door with a ticket and get into the Delta lounge.

Centurion Lounge, maybe, but you need to fly Delta and show them the ticket to get into the lounge

And it is only 1 person per card…

George

You’ve come a long way! My work is done here.

Re: Delta lounge, I have two words for you–

Refundable tkt

You need to present a boarding pass. Can you check in and print one and still get a refund?

George

Yes. [wink.gif]

Don’t forget about the Priority Pass lounges. Not many Centurion Lounges yet. Hopefully more will open.

Yeah, I’ve not had luck with Priority Pass lounges - most times when I go to check in they have limited hours where I’m eligible as a Platinum Amex cardholder - non-peak times. Lame.

the centurion lounge at LGA is outside of the security check in area.

I have had my best luck at Priority Pass lounges outside the U.S. where there are no other choices for us.

75,000 membership reward point sign up bonus for this card now. Have to spend $5K in 3 months for the first 50K points then another $5K in 3 months for the remaining 25K points.

You can do a lot with 75,000 points

George

George, that is not exactly correct:
Direct from AMEX Business Platinum:
Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases on the Business Platinum Card, within your first 3 months of Card Membership.†

Amex varies their offers to existing customers. This was an offer made to me through my personal Platinum card after I logged in. I went back and double checked. It is $5K spend each time for a total of $10K just like I wrote.

I thought the offer was available to everyone… I guess not.

George

Is that for the Business card?

I love my (regular/not “Business”) AmEx Platinum Card. The concierge program is IMHO nothing short of great. They really make planning a trip very easy. They offer discounts as good as if not better than other travel sites on hotels, theatre tickets, various admission tickets and the like. And if you want something “special” like reservations at the French Laundry they’ll get 'em. The priceless life saver is access to airport lounges around the world. It’s well worth the $500.00 a year fee that it costs.

But… Regarding the “Business” Platinum Card. I am pretty sure AmEx pushes their “Business Card” hard to existing holders of the “Personal Platinum Cards”. The reason is when one uses a “Business Card” AmEx charges the business/company submitting your card larger fees than the do with the “Personal Card”. I’m not 100% sure on this but I know this was the case a few years ago. It costs a business where you use your card more money accepting the “Business” Platinum Card than it does if one uses one’s “Personal” Platinum Card.

Yes you get 75,000 miles/points for signing up. That’ll get you a one-way economy class ticket to somewhere probably. But personally I’d rather have the business pay less for using my card. All the bank cards are out there pushing these “Business” cards. I stay away from them! It’s just that personally I have more respect for the business’ than I need a one-shot input of miles/points. As a matter of fact as often as possible I use my VISA or MC because their charges to a lot of business’ is less than any AmEx card. It all depends on the business’s Merchant Agreement" but as I understand it AmEx usually charges more.

One can apply for any AmEx Card. There are numerous freebies that come along with any new card. The Platinum Card is $500.00 a year. That’s expensive but I personally save much more than that every year in benefits. My recommendation is get the “Personal Platinum” and not the “Business Platinum”.

I don’t mean to rain on or criticize anyone’s having a “Business” type card. It’s just how I personally see it: My 2¢.
(Put that 2¢ on my card please [swoon.gif] ).

Yes Business Platinum

The benefits associated with this card are amazing. Fine Hotels, airport lounges, paid Pre-TSA application, refunds on purchases made on board your chosen airline. It is my go to card and do not leave home without it.

75,000 gets you a lot more than a 1way economy ticket. I can EASILY get a 1 way business class ticket to Europe or Asia with that or 2 economy tickets. If you can find one of Amex’s bonus transfer programs you could even do a lot better.

George