Piedmont in February?

Thinking of visiting the Barolo/Barbaresco region for a few days in mid February. Interested in some winery visits, but will have my (almost) 10 yo granddaughter with me, so some ordinary tourism would be in order too. I know this is low season, so is it sensible to go anyway?

There is a similar thread re: Tuscany that touches on some of the challenges of visiting in February.

Normally I’d say towns/cities all the way in February, but it certainly can work. It’s mostly a factor of such little daylight, but unless there is snow, the scenery isn’t at it’s best, plus you lose the option to take a picnic on a walk through the vineyards.

If you stay in/near Alba, then Barbaresco is a short (<€10) taxi journey away (walkable for the energetic, but not a walk I would contemplate in the dark). Alba is nicely pedestrianised in the centre and makes meals, shopping etc. easy. Alternatively stay in one of the wine villages such as Monforte, La Morra or Barolo itself.

I’m not entirely convinced there is much to excite a 10 year old visiting chilly wineries in February. Despite wonderful Italian hospitality. One thought is to seek out producers that do a dessert wine (e.g. a Moscato d’Asti or Brachetto, so there are very approachable wines for a young person to taste and perhaps enjoy). Worth looking out for a festa in the region though, as such events would have a life to them that should make a good impression. Online searches or a check on langheroero.it should help - and you may find other ideas there such as a balloon flight over the vineyards.

The market in Alba is good quality and might be a shared interest, though Asti has a much bigger market that might be worth getting to.

I reckon a fair option would be to fly into Torino (or Milano) and have a few days in a famous city, before fitting some time in the wine region(s) in. If she likes fashion, then choose Milano. If films choose Torino (for the cinema museum in the Mole Antonelliana, plus a lovely eclectic mix of other museums). Otherwise whichever appeals most. For me it’s Torino by a massive distance, but the opportunity for a fashion conscious girl to take some (*not necessarily expensive) designer clothes back home might make the trip ultra special. Does she have any interests that you could indulge to trade off against winery visits? If she likes sports, then consider a bus ride out to a Decathlon store. They are very well stocked, offering from basic/very cheap upwards. We often visit and have taken the bus 3-4 times from within Torino, out to the Grugliasco store Google Maps

There is one between Bra and Alba as well - not as big IIRC Google Maps

Make good use of Pasticcerie to introduce this wonderful resource to her. Also if you go to Torino, the idea of Aperitivo hour(s) might appeal, as with your drink you get either a plate full of nibbles or a buffet to graze over. Other cities do this, but Torino do it very well, and the best use it to showcase dishes that might tempt you to stay or return for a meal.

Alternative options? What about Verona + Valpolicella/Soave? Florence/Pisa + Chianti?

I hope this helps, and sorry that I’ve speculated a bit about what a 10 year old might enjoy. If she has specific interests then I might be able to suggest alternatives.

regards
Ian

• A number of designer outlet stores in Milano sell at prices that can be cheaper than the high street, if you don’t mind rummaging through the racks.

Thanks Ian. Very helpful.

I’d speculate that there’s not much for a 10-year old to enjoy with at Piedmont, especially in the dead of winter. I’d also hesitate to compare it with Tuscany at this time because of the likely colder and much snowier condition at Piedmont.

Alba is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, town and there doesn’t appear to much going on at this time, just as it was 2 year ago in January, when we went.

The region is truly an adult wine-enthusiast playground.