Picking a destination for a very special occasion

So my wife and I both turn 50 within 45 days of each other. We intend to celebrate with a special trip, but as fairly experienced travelers who love mountains, but not beaches or cities, we have somewhat exhausted the major spots. We’ve done Canada, Alaska, the Alps, Chile, Argentina and Iceland, and are kind of stuck trying to come up with a place to go.

Anybody been to Bhutan? We’re considering Sweden/Norway, as we have never made it above the Artic Circle. Antarctica? Mongolia?

I’ve never been but one of my coolest former work clients went to Bhutan and has a great online photo album that makes it looks amazing - she loved her trip there:

Great pics. Might not be a place for foodies, but there was more there than a trip to Yosemite. If you owned a jeep I’d suggest the Jeeper’s Jamboree Rubicon Run from Georgetown to Rubicon Springs and finishing at South Lake Tahoe. Unfortunately, it’s July 27, 2017. Great food, alcohol, fishing and views.

How about Machu Picchu?

http://www.mountainlodgesofperu.com/lares-adventure-machu-picchu/?gclid=CjwKEAiAj7TCBRCp2Z22ue-zrj4SJACG7SBEGnG1ciFn1xP6Zcqfkm00ebb4T472NZGPAjhq-O-1VhoCIGXw_wcB

I would like to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro one day.

New Zealand?

Staying at this resort in Bhutan is on my bucket list:

She’s been to Peru, including Machu Pichu.

New Zealand is already pegged for our retirement trip. Need more than 2 weeks.

Love those Bhutan photos.

There are some beautiful small towns all along the Pyrenees on both sides of the border. The culture is also very unique in regards to Spain/France. Relatively easy to get to and lots of good places to eat.

George

I was thinking of Machu Picchu too.
Mt Kilimanjaro sounds good. My dad enjoyed hiking both of those.

I don’t see any other Asian destinations on that list. Have you been to Japan yet? Yen just dropped again and Kyoto is among the most beautiful cities in the world.

Wild card: Bolzano Italy. Great mountain town and a nice wine region, Alto Adige, right next store. Added bonus.
th.jpg

Iran.

(Seriously)

No. We have not. That being said, Laura does not eat fish…

We both go to Singapore for business. Have thought about Thailand, but would wait until the year of mourning is over.

In Hokkaido, check out Daisetsuzan National Park and Rishiri-Rebun-Sarobetsu National Park. I had an amazing trip through that part of Japan that included some great mountain hiking. It might take a little extra effort but I think it would be possible to avoid eating fish. Hokkaido’s lamb and beef is excellent.

And of course ramen, yakitori, tofu, tonkatsu, etc.

The only place she might have trouble is with kaiseki meals, which admittedly would be an unfortunate omission

my thoughts too, add in a safari which is pretty amazing and unique.

I would strongly recommend Norway. A holiday along the fjords/mountains of the west coast in summer has been on our bucket list for a while now. Wonderful people, incredible scenery and great food, although not eating fish takes away a fair bit of that. I’ve spent a fair bit of time in Oslo in my youth and loved it.

David - The anti-atlas mountains just outside Marrakech. I can give you more details if interested. Great mountains, Berber culture, very beautiful, snow, Marrakech, the Sahara, great beach villages.
Theo

My parents thought the Galápagos Islands were special

Have you thought about the Azores?