Strasbourg

Looking for wine shop recommendations. Thanks.

http://www.feratel.com/en/webcams-wetter/france/strasbourg.html

Wishing I was there !

Just got back from Alsace and I will answer my own question above.

For stores offering wines by producers outside of Alsace stuff, find the nearest Vino Strada. There are 4 locations in major cities/towns in Alsace. I chanced upon their store in Colmar and grabbed 3 pristine bottles of 1998 Jamet Cote Rotie that they had lying in their basement cellar at no-braininer pricing. Store guy even threw in a complimentary bottle of 2015 Jamet Cotes-du-Rhone rouge.

nice find! I love Colmar.

Heading to Colmar in early April. Any other tips on restaurants etc.?

excellent fine dining at JY’s Google Maps http://www.jean-yves-schillinger.com/le-restaurant/

104e for the full on tasting menu but cheaper options too. Go here early and talk to chef after your meal. He’s from the town (though lived in NYC) and can point you to all the local watering holes for tarte flambee, etc.

Are you willing to take short drives to nearby towns?

[quote][/quote]

I am. I have now booked or requested lunch reservations at Wistub du Sommelier and La Taverne Alsacienne. Dinners are booked at L’Epicurien and JY’s. The wineries have been much slower to respond (but for Zind-Humbrecht), but our time in Alsace is coming together nicely.

We had dinner at Wistub du Sommelier when we were there near the end of December. Great service, good breadth of Alsace wines. I had the Choucroute Garnie … perhaps, should have tried other dish in the menu.

Almost booked La Taverne Alsacienne, but changed it last minute to go to Caveau Moraskopf. Don’t know what we missed at Taverne Alsacienne, but we were very very happy with our dinner at Moraskopf. They have some very good traditional Alsace menu items that are not readily available in most local restaurants. A very memorable dinner at Moraskopf.

I’d add Jean Luc Brendel in Riquewihr. We dined at the bistro, instead of the main formal dining room, and was very happy. We’d have loved to try the formal restaurant had we more time.

edited to add: if you’re looking for another winery visit, a small one in Ribeauville churning out some good stuff is Domaine Henry Fuchs. We tasted some good stuff when Paul Fuchs, the current winemaker, graciously accepted my requested appointment with 2 days email notice.

Great information and much appreciated. Disappointing to hear about the Choucroute Garnie at Wistub. I made that dish on a whim last year and was really looking forward to trying an authentic version. Moraskoph sounds wonderful and I may switch Wistub for them or try them if our Baden day trip doesn’t workout. Fuchs is now on my list and I will email them as soon as I hear from nearby Trimbach.

All good info, thanks guys. Just “bookmarking” this for my own trip in May.