Any "NEW" New Orleans dining experiences?

I know this has been covered in the past but I have been hearing of many newer openings in New Orleans. Diana and I will be heading down there for our anniversary in late March. It will be our first visit since 2013. Any information on "newer " restaurants would be appreciated as well as recent experiences in the “usual suspects.”

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
Marshall grouphug

Shaya on Magazine.

makes sure you check the menu before going to Shaya and that’s the kind of food you want to eat. I didn’t and it wasn’t my thing.

I did enjoy Square Root, which is fairly new.

Brennan’s fits both the “newer” and “usual suspects” categories in its current incarnation. Had a great meal there last December. Coquette is a usual suspect for me as I usually hit it up on every visit, although it may be new to you.

It’s overwhelming the number of new restaurants that have opened in the past year. I’ll be visiting week after next and have Compere Lapin and the Caribbean Room on my short list of new places to check out. Sadly, I only have 3 nights to work with and am having trouble choosing between old favorites and new spots.

Also on my list of potentials: N7, Bar Frances, and Susan Spicer’s new place Rosedale.

Caribbean Room was always great fun in the old days. I’d love to see what John Besh & Cooper Manning have done with the re-birth.

Is it a new location or still on St. Charles?

Still on St. Charles in the newly reopened Ponchartrain Hotel.

Is the old steak house still in biz next door? Lord we ripped it up on St. Charles back in the 80s & 90s.

Thanks Mandy; Looking forward to hearing your thoughts since we have plenty of time to plan. Otherwise, I could end up using Doc’s advice and that is a sure recipe for trouble! grouphug [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

I think Peche opened in 2013, so that may be new since you’ve last been and worth thinking about.

We ate there twice last week and it was excellent. Their whole fresh fish is amazing! We cleaned out their specials of tuna collar.

We also ate at Patois, which was very good.

I dropped by R’evolution during the afternoon to just experience their “Death by Gumbo” while sitting at the bar. It lived up to expectations!

I’m not sure how old these all are relative to your last trip, but I thought I would just throw a quick impression out there. I know R’evolution has been around for a while because I first found out about it by reading on this board.

Thanks Chris: We are actually staying at the Royal Sonesta so we will probably drop in to R’evolution as well. Not really in my dinner plans but the afternoon idea seems like a possibility.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

The renovation of Brennan’s is stunning in preserving the old feel while making it seem just opened. The food is also a much fresher approach to the classic Brennan s menu. Service is as to be expected in a Brennan family place. It is definitely a great place if you’re interested in some day time drinking and eating.

Meril… hands down best new restaurant to hit Nola since Peche.

Coquette is, for me, the best restaurant in the city. Consistently interesting, executes at a high level, and the tasting menu is always a tremendous value.

+1 for Compere Lapin as well. Nina Compton is lights out.

We’ve been to the Carribean Room 3 or 4 times since it reopened and it’s a great time. It’s a very old school New Orleans experience. The roof top bar has great cocktails and a wonderful view of the skyline, but can get quite busy.

Glen mentioned the old school Mr John’s Steakhouse which is still next to the Pontchartrain and is alive and well. If you’re looking for a more modern take on the New Orleans steakhouse experience. Doris Metropolitan is doing fantastic work down in the French Quarter.

Other notables that are relatively new…Seaworthy in the Ace Hotel, which has great seafood. Also somewhat seafood-centric is Cavan, which has a focus on coastal and southern cuisine. Oxalis; the food is very nice but my reason for going is that I think it’s got the best cocktails in town now that Bellocq is gone.

If pan-Asian food is up your alley then a couple of great and very fun places are Michael Gulotta’s Mo Pho and Maypop. Gulotta was formerly at Besh’s August and then broke away to do his own thing. I say pan-Asian because he borrows from all over Asia (I’ve seen him incorporate ideas from India all the way up to Korea) and combines that with Creole influences. Mopho is a bit off the beaten path and is the more casual and fun of the two. Maypop just opened in the CBD and borrows some of the ideas from Mopho but in a more sophisticated setting; he’s really elevated his dishes to match.

Countless others as we have seen a flurry of restaurants open in the last few years but these are currently my favorites.

Jason: Thank you very much! That is some great info.
Much appreciated! [thankyou.gif]

Cheers1
Marshall [cheers.gif]

I second Shaya… the wood roasted cabbage is an absolute must

This is really an awesome post as you rarely think about "new " spots in New Orleans. We certainly have our favorites but will be trying a few newer spots as well. As the actual trip approaches, we are getting more excited. More ideas are certainly welcome.

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Thanks all…made a few rezzies combining some old and some new plus left some time open. I will get back with a few impressions. One restaurant I am curious about is Brigtsen’s …we have loved it in the past but it seems to get little play on this board. Anyone with an opinion or experience? It is very much “old school.”

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

I enjoy Brightsten’s when I went, especially because I took the trolley through the Garden District, but haven’t been for ages.

I dined at Brigtsen’s in December. Good and service were both great.