Beaujolais/Macon

I am thinking of renting a house for two weeks south of beaune. Since I have seen almost no discussion of that area here, I am wondering if it might be a really bad idea. Can anyone give me guidance?

Thanks

Hi Bill
If it’s just a 2 person place, we stayed here on the drive back from Piemonte
http://etaperobinson.com/
Run by a couple from Yorkshire who enjoy their cycling. The B&B isn’t an option for 2 weeks, but they do have a decent gite/apartment. The prices are fair and the oddly named St Gengoux National is a very pleasant small town / large village and handy for Macon / Bojo and southern Burg. There are wines made locally, but these are a world away from the fancy Burgs discussed here in the main.

The countryside in the region is lovely, with good driving, cycling and walking to be had. Personally 2 weeks would be a week too long for me in the area, but then tastes vary and it might appeal.

regards
Ian

Thanks Ian.

Not a bad idea at all! You’ll be about an hour’s drive from Lyon, which is my favourite French city and the gastronomical capital of Europe. Also great medieval towns to visit in the area are Pérouges and Oingt.

Bill

We just got back from a trip to the area for a few days. It is a lovely area-we stayed in Fuisse at this place
http://www.bergerie-fuisse.com/?lang=uk#!/pageHome

Believe they are now closed for the season. Note the restaurant list on the website-spot on. We ate at L’O des vignes which is in Fuisse and had a Michelin worthy meal and bot Sebastien’s cookbook which has stunning photos of 20 local Burgundy producers and great recipes. The meal highlight was lunch at le Table de Chaintre for 60 euros-they do have 1 star-2 amuse, 4 courses, dessert and cheese and then chocolates with coffee-how they can do this for the price?

There is a great wine shop in Solutre-The Atrium-funded by a checkoff from all Pouilly-Fuisse producers-lovely lady is extremely knowledgeable about the wines and all the growers and the local gossip-plan on spending a few hours there if she is not busy and you are interested in the wines. She sells 40 or so P-F.

Beautiful countryside around P-F and we climbed La Roche.

We then spent a few nights in Lyon and frankly the food at L’O and le Table was better than in Lyon. Best meal we had there was lunch at Jeremy Galvan. The Les Halles Paul Bocuse is a must see place-we had a good lunch there-towards the back on side-full of locals.

mark meyer