Grand Canyon weather

Really depends when you are visiting.

Best to check the weather history for flagstaff, AZ based on the time of year. It’ll give a rough idea. Climate in Flagstaff, Arizona

A couple of comments.

1. it’s in a desert
  2. it gets really cold and really hot
  3. daily temperature fluctuates - high 90 and low 30
  4. elevation is 7,000 ft.

What he said.

I’ll just add that it really is a magnificent sight and well worth the visit.

When we were there in late April this year there was snow and ice on the rim, and 90+ temperatures at the bottom.
If you can, hike down into the canyon. Just looking at it from above doesn’t give you the true canyon experience.

P Hickner

Here is a page with information on climate at the park, including average temperatures, rainfall, etc. throughout the year for the north rim, south rim, and canyon interior.

Bear in mind that at Phoenix the elevation is something like 1250-1300 ft (400m) – the temperature there is much higher than on the rim of the canyon. At the south rim (site of most tourist activity), the elevation is about 7000 ft (2100m). At the north rim it is 8000 ft (2400). The temperatures there are thus distinctly lower than in Phoenix and the desert that surrounds it. Temperatures increase as you descend into the interior of the canyon.

Have a good visit!

David has already dealt with the rim vs canyon temperature variation. Just do not underestimate it! Especially if you hike down from the rim. Listen to the rangers and factor in how much more difficult hiking back will be than it may seem.

We were there in early July a few years back and stayed in one of the less expensive accommodations at the south rim. I was rather concerned when I learned that the rooms have no AC as I am hot natured and like a really cold room at night.

There was zero need to have been concerned. The temps were very comfortable due to the elevation.

Ansel,

As Samavia noted, it can be very cold at the canyon in December and snow is a very real possibility. The positive is that it will not be crowded with tourists; the negative is you will limited in what you can do and see. That time of year it is better to go to Phoenix, Tuscon or Las Vegas.

I’ll respectfully disagree that December might be problematic. Odds are it will be fine weather (but you’ll be able to get a pretty good forecast easily 7-10 days ahead of your trip). Winter air will likely be clear and bright, great for viewing the canyon. In the unlikely event it actually snows, that can be tremendously beautiful, unless you happen to be so unlucky that you’re there during a storm. I’ve been there many times, in every time of year, and always enjoyed it. Did a winter backpacking trip down to the bottom for a week once, through 3 feet of snow at the rim, but none lower down. Go and enjoy one of the most amazing sights on earth!

I do agree with all of you guys. It becomes too much cold at Grand Canyon in December as Snow, Fogg and cold wind are major features of the winter season. If someone wanna see Grand Canyon covered with snow than he go there in the month of December.