Duoro Valley, Portugal

I’ll be swinging through Porto and the Duoro as part of a cycling trip. Porto seems more or less sussed out. Couple of Duoro questions for folks.

I have searched. Found a couple of very handy threads.

They are a bit older, so wondering if there might be some refreshed thoughts on the topic.

Any new/updated recommendations for Quintas to visit or Restaurants to seek out?

Staying at Six Senses for most of it, but will be solo for one night, for which I’ve booked a room at Tedo, which was a highly recommended place to visit. They don’t have a restaurant for dinner, so wondering if there might be a nearby (cheap-ish taxi away, as I prefer not to drive the car) restaurant I should seek out?

[cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Search Porto Lisbon threads. There’s more updated Douro suggestions in there.

DOC is one of the best restaurants on the Douro. It’s not far. The folks at Tedo will be able to help with a taxi. Ask the driver to pick you up later as well.

Thanks Eric, that looks like exactly what I’m looking for…will call later today.

Yup. DOC is great and not far from Tedo.

One problem appears to be crossing the river. We were eying staying at Quinta Nova, but places like Tedo and Nobiles are across the river. Are there a maps that show the crossing points?

You have just discovered one of the challenges of the Douro Valley. From Quinta Nova, you may have to backtrack to Pinhao to cross. When we stayed there most of our journeys required that crossing. Consider it one of the charms of it’s remoteness.

Quinta Nova by the way is an awesome inn/resort/winery/restaurant. We loved it.

As Michael mentioned, Quinta Nova is great. It’s location is also a huge drawback when needing to go anywhere. It’s about a 35-40 drive back to Pinhao, then cross the bridge and about 15-20 minutes to Tedo from there. Getting around the Douro is not as easy or quick as it looks. The only two crossings are in Pinhao and in Regua.

Mid-trip update.

Was based at Six Senses for most of the week. Nice place, if you are into luxury type stuff. I’m staying at Quinta Tedo for a night which is very cool (only 5 rooms). Six Senses seems pretty good location-wise. As does Quinta Tedo. I’m here for cycling (mostly) so they worked for us pretty well.

I had lunch at Quinta Nova. I opted for just one glass of wine and not the wine pairing with lunch since I’m driving. The road there isn’t for the faint of heart. There are no guardrails, and it’s a long way down to the river. Looked quite nice, the restaurant was excellent. Just had one wine with lunch but bringing back a few.

Dinner at DOC tonight!

Thanks for the tips, gents.

Another place to eat in the Douro.

Yes a wonderful place to eat.

Had a meal at Castas e Pratos in Regua. Set adjacent to the train station which was kind of neat. Good food, good wine, no complaints from my group.