Best time for surfing competitions on North Shore Oahu

Looking to plan a trip to Oahu in the January/February (preferably February) and would like to hang out on the North Shore and watch some surfing. Any recommendations as to competitions during that time period or other place on the island to watch surfers?

Hope for an Eddie!

See schedule at link.

Brian, thanks!

That would be hitting the jackpot for sure! I think we will go the last week of February and take our chances. That way, when we get back here it will be March and almost spring.

Enjoy. I would love to see the Eddie. The Eddie when it happens normally takes place in late December or early January but last year’s was 25 Feb so there is hope. Even without a tournament if the surf is up there is plenty to watch.

I really need to get back to the north shore but I fear I won’t like what I see. the increased development my last trip there bothered me and I am sure it’s just gotten worse. If you remember report back as I would really like to I know. The north shore was one of those few places were I felt immediately at home and just could have stayed there the first time I visited but that was close to 20 years ago.

While a competition is great you’ll see more surfers on a normal day with good waves.

Sunset and pipeline are right next to each other and down the road is waimea if the surf is up.

I’ve been to the North Shore a couple of times over the past seven years with the last time being three summers ago. I don’t recall a lot of new development on the North Shore but will be happy to check it out and report back.

Have been to Waimea a few times but haven’t been to Sunset and Pipeline but will definitely check out any surfing I can find. Thanks.