Santa Fe

Haven’t been in a year and heading there in a couple of weeks. Any new places to consider?

Bump

We stayed in SF in May of 2015 for my nephew’s wedding. We stayed at La Fonda which was very nice and in a great location. The restaurant is more than serviceable. I’m not sure I would eat there is I wasn’t staying there but it was certainly better than fine. Very lively bar, especially at night. The staff is very nice though I would avoid the banquet/conference services.

We ate at the Coyote Cafe only because it was late, we were tired when we got in and we had a great meal there years ago. Its fine but nothing to base a trip around and would not be our first or second or even third choice. Great service. We had dinner at The Shedd which was very highly recommended. Great cocktails, very good New Mexican fare. I’m not sure its worth the hype. We had lunch at The Compound and have had a number of very good experiences there over a couple of visits. As a local told me, its a great place to watch Sante Fe’s finest get hammered. Expensive but good enough wine list.

We also dined at Geronimo and had a great time. Maybe not as good as a couple of previous visits but still very good. The dining room and bar area are a little cramped which was a bit of a downer. My wife ended up chatting with Gary Burden (artist who did album artwork for The Eagles, CSNY, Joni Mitchell, Jackson Browne and more) at the bar. We didn’t know him or who he was but he was a great guy. The bartender told us afterwards who he was.

We also ate at The Anasazi (in the Inn of the Anasazi-which is lovely) and it was their first night after a remodel so I’ll withhold judgment but we did enjoy it and had some great cocktails at the bar. Finally, we had a fantastic lunch at Gabriel’s which at least some locals (nephew, niece & her family) think is the best Mexican/New Mexican in SF. Nice view and outside seating in good weather. Its a bit of a drive but definitely worth the trip. The table side guacamole is great as you can add more of this or less of that if you like.

So, in no order, if and when we return, The Compound, Gabriel’s, Geronimo and a new place or two. We would go back to The Anasazi but wouldn’t necessarily rush. I’d like to give The Shedd another shot, too, I think. Hope this helps and it 16 months old.

JD

Thanks, John. It’s been over five years since we’ve been to either The Compound or Geronimo, so we’ll probably give one of those a try this time. Geronimo has a newish chef and I wonder how he’s doing.

Cheers,

Jeremy

We just got back in July. Geronimo was a really good experience. New one for us was Restaurant Martin. Well done. Check it online and see if it strikes your fancy. Definitely dine outside if available.

We really liked Restaurant Martin as well. Geronimo is always a good experience.

I haven’t found any new places I can recommend. Very old place: Rancho de Chimayó continues to shine for Northern NM food - much better than The Shed IMO.

We were there over Labor Day weekend. Beautiful place withe terrific North New Mexican food. The red chile is amazing. If you make it up to Taos, Enthusiastically can recommend The Love Apple http://www.theloveapple.net. In an old adobe church, the setting is beautiful and the food is outstanding with a nice mostly Kermit stocked wine list. Lunch at the Ojo Caliente Spa was also delicious.
IMG_0828.JPG

Jeremy and others: I was quite pleasantly surprised by John Sedlar’s new restaurant "Eloisa."

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]