Phoenix/Scottsdale and Siena

Flying to Phoenix for a quick trip at the end of September/early Oct.

Would love to know “not to miss spots” - we are thinking that we might do a day trip to Sedona.
food/hiking/etc

i dont mind driving a lot in one day if i know there is a payoff (especially for my camera)
our hiking skills are good as far as hours/distance but moderate as far as elevation change.

thanks in advance - and happy to get together for dinner !

(we will be staying in Scottsdale at a friend’s house)

You could also do The Grand Canyon in a day trip. If possible, I would do Sedona one day and spend the night either there or in Flagstaff and do GC the following day.

Mike - thanks! i dont think that will be realistic since this is a work trip for my wife… but i surely thought about it! any ideas for what is a must see/do etc? :slight_smile:

Golf
Hike up Camelback or Squaw Peak
Dine in Old Town Scottsdale

thanks! will look up those hikes.
staying in scottsdale - any specific rec?

no golf here :slight_smile:

You can go look for the Lost Dutchman’s gold mine in the Superstition Mountains just east of town.
Lots of good hikes there.

thanks Michael ! the pictures look great! will have my camera with me :slight_smile:

It’s been well over a decade since I’ve been to that part of the country but Oak Creek in Sedona and I’m sure there are many other places. Sedona is a great town so I would do some internet searches before you go and you can find what you’re looking for. Grand Canyon, you can stand there for hours and look at it which is what we did but there are plenty of excursions and things to do. I had young kids at the time so we were somewhat limited but it is well worth the drive from Phoenix…

Mike - thanks again. yeah i have a few guidebooks on the way as well. but always great to hear personal things because… they add something no guide book can.

wont be our last time in AZ. thats for sure. Grand Canyon, Bryce etc will be a serious trip. also likely at a time when the heat index is lower though not sure that exists lol.

I strongly recommend the day trip to Sedona. Merry and I went with the kids 15ish years ago – then we went back last year for our 30th anniversary. The town is not much – but the red rock canyons – and your close access to them, and their reasonable scale – is stunning.

Gil - thanks! yes i think Sedona is a must from what i have seen. sadly not likely to go much further but i think 1.5-2h each way is still worth driving to see so much beauty. Any other recs from your trip?

If you’re going to Sedona, pick up a local guide book for the trails. Some go near ancient cliff dwellings and other Native American sites, but for obvious reasons, there aren’t always signs to these features. There are tons of trail options.
It is also a little cheesy, but consider taking a Pink Jeep tour. https://www.pinkjeeptours.com/
They can be entertaining for a few hours.

Thanks. my issue is unless i am the driver i get carsick in 5 min or less :slight_smile: but will think about it
yup i got a travel book in mind already - i usually like “Explorers Guide” - but may look for others once i get this one and dig through it

Thennnnn, you’ll probably want to avoid the Jeep tour. [snort.gif]

The drive up to Sedona is long but there’s lots to see as you go … the views along the way are gorgeous. (I actually had a weird reaction to changing altitude and the heat when I went last year in August and was not able to stay but the views were worth it). (it’s not that high, I just have a reaction due to some meds I take, etc btw)

There’s at least one other thread for restaurants in Epicure or Travel with lots on interesting suggestions. When I’ve been there, I haven’t wandered too far away from work meals but at Toro (a restaurant by Richard Sandoval at the TPC Golf course that’s run by the Fairmont), I had a really delicious meal with superb ceviches - casual but with very good service - and they have a collection of over 150 rums which is pretty enjoyable.

will look for the thread - didnt see one in travel but will look again. thank you!

Here we go - Phoenix-Scottsdale - Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes - WineBerserkers

thank you!

My in-laws live in Gilbert so I make it down there often.

Superstitions are close-by and you can do some easy hikes. We climbed to the top of Flat Iron once and I wouldn’t recommend it unless you are in tippy top shape. I’d say it was harder than running a marathon.

I enjoy Joe’s BBQ in Gilbert (I think he’s since branched out and even opened a location in the airport).

I find an underrated spot to be the San Tan Mountain Regional Park. There’s a great trail with fantastic views of the valley. Grab a sandwich at the nearby Queen Creek Olive Mill before your hike and dinner at San Tan Flats afterward for a full day.

The Phoenix Botanical Garden is a great spot to visit. Lots to see.

There are too many places to mention around the state but many are very far (Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Monument Valley) from Phoenix. Tuzigoot and Montezuma’s Castle are interesting diversions that are somewhat nearby.

I enjoyed Sedona but given the choice between visiting there and Tucson, I’d take Tucson and Saguaro National Park every time.

Try not to miss any sunsets while you’re there. AZ sunsets are really special.

Tim - awesome! thanks… maybe will try to do both Tucson and Sedona… if i can…
those sound pretty awesome!