Lisbon vs Porto

Will be in Portugal for 4-5 days at the end of a cruise ending in Lisbon next spring. Question is would it be best just to stay in Lisbon, or try to include Porto, or spend most of time in Porto. There will be wine/port lovers and not so port lovers along. (The cruise is Barcelona to Lisbon, so stops in southern Spain and southern Portugal.)

I haven’t been to Portugal in about 15 years, but I remember Lisboa being way more exciting than Porto. It was kind of like Paris vs. Lyon. They’re both excellent, but if I had to choose 1 . . . Maybe 3 days in Lisboa and 1 or 2 in Porto would be ideal.

I’ve been to both cities and they both are nice. Lisbon though is fairly typical of most large European cities with a historic downtown, dining district, shops etc. It is often referred to as the San Francisco of Europe for its look and location. Porto, on the other hand, reflects much more of what Portugal is all about. Almost all the major port houses have tasting rooms right off the river. The tours are fun and educational. The historic district is beautiful. We loved dining along the river. Think of it as the Napa of Portugal. I would vote for Porto above Lisbon.

Sintra - 30 min from Lisbon is wonderful from a historical perspective.

George

Porto historic district.
image.jpeg

Both Cities have a lot to offer.
Taking the train to Porto from Lisbon is pretty easy. It’s about 2 and 1/2 hours from memory although I am sure somebody else will know for sure. Sao Bento train station is a nice way to arrive in Porto. There are plenty of other places with cool tile work as well.
I’ll second George’s opinion on Sintra. Definitely worth a visit. Belem has a lot of historical stuff to look at too and taking the tram up the hill to the fort that overlooks Lisbon is very cool.

Porto (and Villa Nova de Gaia which is where Michael’s photo is taken from) is one of my favorite cities and I enjoy spending time there, even when port isn’t involved. I’ve stayed in the historic district most of the time I have spent there and it has a well worn charm. I love being near the river.

A Lisbon/Sintra combo would be great!

You could also do Sintra as an easy day trip from Lisbon, but it has enough to make it worth an overnight.

Lisbon can keep you interested for quite a while, especially if you enjoy fado.

If you like rushing, you could do a couple nights in Lisbon and a couple in Porto. But I’d do the Lisbon/Sintra combo (been there twice, Porto once). One thing Portugal isn’t about and that’s rushing around.

Thanks, folks. Would anyone recommend for or against trying to spend a full day or an overnight trying to go up the Duoro from Porto on such a trip?

We went deep into the Douro, but not from Porto. It is a World Heritage site and well deserving of that distinction. I think that may be a whole seperate trip onto itself. You’ll find much more than just ports to enjoy, but it is remote and takes time and planning just to get there.

If you do venture into the Douro I would recommend Quinta Nova. Pictured here. Winery, inn and restaurant. http://www.quintanova.com
image.jpeg

That’s hideous… why would anyone want to stay there? [snort.gif]

George

If food and wine is your top priority, I would go to Porto. You can take a train up the Douro for the beauty and have a driver meet you to do wine touring and bring you back to Porto.

Both and fun and well worth visiting. Between the two, I would spend more time in Lisbon. I liked the dining scene much more in Lisbon. The historical area on the river in Porto is spectacular. Have a great trip!

Completely agree with spending more time in Lisbon for the foodie experience. Plenty of diverse styles, the seafood are fresh and there are many options within an hour’s drive. I also think that the wines are also more extensive in terms of more regional representations. We were able to hit a couple of good wine bars in the city that had robust btg offerings, mostly Portuguese wines.

Go here. http://winebardocastelo.blogspot.com I thought it was great and have recommended it to other board members who enjoyed it also. 95% Portuguese wines.

George

In reality you would want to stay the night in the Douro. The 2 to 2.5 hour train ride (depending on if you get the express train or not) from Porto is worth it for the views and will save you about 120 Euros each way. Plenty of places to stay in the Douro now depending on where you will be visiting (more toward Regua or Pinhao). It is not easy to get around due to the terrain so plan accordingly time wise. You will get 2, maybe 3 visits in if you hustle, in a day. One of the most beautiful wine regions you will ever visit.

There is now a pretty good amount of Quintas to visit without knowing a producer.

Don’t have context to compare, but have very much enjoyed the Myriad by Sana hotel in Lisbon. 2x floors, built out over the water. Bit trendy (W ish) with beds looking out over the water. My rate was 168 euros, believe it’s normally 220. Restaurants I got stuck going to were not worthy of being mentioned with this crowd. Couple of pics below - hotel at night, view from my bed, Christmas tree in a big square :slight_smile:
WP_20161213_20_20_03_Rich.jpg
WP_20161212_23_44_38_Rich.jpg
WP_20161213_19_32_58_Rich.jpg