Italy Planning Help - March 2017

My wife and I are going to Italy for the first time in March of next year. We have a basic plan of which cities we would like spend time in, but would appreciate feedback as to how long long we should stay in each city. Also, recommendations for restaurants and hotels in each city are very welcome. The only thing we have booked so far is the airfare, but I know we need to start firming up other plans very soon as well. Below is a rough outline of places were are planning:

Travel 3/8 → 3/9
Land in Rome 3/9 at 2pm
Rome
Florence (Tuscan day trips)
Venice
Train to Munich 3/18
Leave 3/20

Thanks in advance for the tips!

Rome is my favorite city so I am biased, but I would try and spend at least three days there. You need a day to do the Colosseum and Forum alone. Almost everything you’ll want to see is in the central core and is walkable. I wouldn’t do Rome any other way. Too many little piazzas and alley ways to see that would be missed by car or public transport.
Florence is nice, but not nearly as big as Rome. A day or two there is plenty unless you want to spend more time in the museums. The Tuscan hill towns are the gems of Tuscany and add Siena to your list. At least a day to see the hill towns and another day in Siena/Chianti.
Venice to me is super touristy. Early mornings and late nights were my favorite times when the tourist crowds were all but gone. A day or two in Venice is more than enough.
I think there are a lot of good Italy threads here already so do a search for more info.

I haven’t been to Rome, but agree with Michael on the other places. I’d do 4 days/3 nights in Venice. Lots to see there, and on the islands of Murano and Burano (part of the Venice Metro area). I’d seek out the down and dirty places to eat in Venice. Better food there vs what you get back home, and it won’t set back the budget.

On the Flyertalk Italy forum there is a lot of good info on eating in Venice.

If you’re driving in Italy, be sure to stay out of the ZTL’s in the cities (like Rome, Florence, etc). You may find a hefty fine or a charge on your credit card when you get back home.

That’s a lot in 10 days. Why Munich?

George

Consult the current Venice thread, I’ve only been once but P Moy’s post offers what looks like good advice. I think staying a little out the way in Venice is a good idea.