Paso Robles Visit

I am going to Paso Robles for a week. Have never been to this area. Looking for winery recommendations. I prefer the one-off, less commercial, great wine kind of places. I found many of those in Napa, Somoma but have not yet heard of any in this area. That said any and all recco’s are appreciated. Thanks.

I am not a California resident. Having said that, I strongly admire the wines of Adelaida Cellars. The Hoffman Mountain Ranch (HMR) Pinot Noir is a surprising pleasure. The winery’s new winemaker apparently has kicked quality into hyperdrive.

I would be remiss in neglecting to mention Château Beaucastel’s American project, Tablas Creek, which offers many unique Rhône-style reds and whites (Terret Noir, anyone?).

I am certain that the locals will have a more comprehensive list of sites for your exploration. Best wishes! :slight_smile:

I was just in Paso in July, and I really liked Cypher (tasting with wood oven pizza), McPrice Meyers, Turley, Linne Calodo, Denner, and Alta Colina. Also, Tin City was awesome, both the tasting rooms and food trucks. We didn’t cover everything at Tin City, but liked Desparada, Aaron, Onx, Brian Benson, Tyler (Cordant and Nelle).

If you like different mixes of GSM and Syrah dominated blends, then Paso is a must visit.

There are a couple good Paso threads a search here will turn up, as well as past Wineberserker dinner events in Paso. Drop me a line if I can be of any off-line assistance. I’m a Paso grape grower and know many of the players.

We’ll be heading back to Paso for a week in October (but not during the Harvest Festival weekend) so I’ve been doing some research here and in a couple other wine forums.

We are definitely going to Adelaida and Tablas as we are members of both. Here are some of the others that have made the list, hope this isn’t too much and gives you some places to look into:

Adelaida
Tablas Creek
Alta Colina
AmByth
Austin Hope
Booker Vineyard and Winery
Caliza
Caparone Winery
Carina Cellars
Clos Solene
Dover Canyon Winery
EOS
Field Recordings
Grey Wolf Vineyards & Cellars
Halter Ranch
Hug Cellars
Jada Vineyard and Winery
Kaleidos
L’Aventure Winery
Law Estate Wines
Maloy O’Neill Vineyards
Nicora
Niner Wine Estates
ONX Wines
Oso Libre
Paix Sur Terre
Pear Valley Vineyard
Terry Hoage
Villa Creek Cellars
Whalebone Winery

BTW, we found what appears to be a really nice VRBO just a couple blocks off the square which will be real convenient for dinners and stretching the legs after a day of tasting.

My wife, myself and another couple are going to be in Paso over Thanksgiving. Other than Tablas Creek, which other wineries from the list above make non-Parkerized wine? If it’s got gobs, I go running the other way.

Thanks! [cheers.gif]

I was there in august-we enjoyed Epoch, Caliza, Denner, Adelaida, and Lone Madrone. All had very balanced wines

+1-Epoch, Denner and Adelaida
Try Daou for the amazing view and grounds. Wine is ok as well.

Must mention my favorite small, less commercial wineries in the area:

• Paix Sur Terre
  • McPrice Myers
  • Nicora

All previously mentioned, but I thought I’d single them out.

That said, there’s a lot of great wine in the area. Have a good time!

If you enjoy beer (especially IPAs, stouts and barley-wines), stop by Firestone Walker for lunch. Right off the freeway, great stuff.

I had looked at their website and that’s a possibility. However, beer-wise, I’m a saison/farmhouse ale kinda guy as is my wife. I don’t like IPAs at all. Beer that tastes like pine needles? Bleh.

They make a bretta rose that’s one of Charlie’s favorites. If you’re a farmhouse nut, would have died at the place I was at last night. Pages and pages of beer, 20 years of Cantillon and everything else you can imagine.

Barrelhouse brewery in Tin City recently hosted the Sour festival, and offers several of their own.
Local wineries are concerned about Brett levels in their exhaust air.

just near Tablas Creek is Halter Ranch, Lone Madrone( the winemaker from Tablas Creek’s label) and Brecon and Justin for their cabs

Bumping this relatively old thread for fresh perspectives and to keep regional reccs in one place.

Wife and I are heading to Paso for a couple of days at the end of July as a pilgrimage of sorts. Been buying wines religiously from a couple of wineries since the 2003 vintage. Villa Creek seems amicable to having us. The other, well not so much which is a big, big disappointment that has me rethinking where we go for the long weekend. In the case of these two, the trip is about meeting the folks and/or possibly seeing the vineyards behind the wine. Hopefully the one meets our expectations. And we have no interest in merely tasting through the latest releases since we already have access and drink the stuff regularly.

Looking for current great restaurant recommendations (2 nights) and two or three more wineries to visit. GSMs are the interest, at least in this region but are open to other interesting stuff. Looking for worthwhile tasting rooms to taste at.

Or, convince me to go elsewhere. We fly into San Jose.

Greatly appreciate the experience of the board as our guide.

Bob

Call ahead and get the cave tour at halter ranch.

Windward Winery for Pinot Noir. I know, I know… But the juice is really good and almost, dare I say, old world. Well… Almost.

Paso makes the greatest Rhône’s in the world! But then I am biased.
Who dissed you? You are going to name them, aren’t you?
What do you like? big or small producers? Winemakers or glamor tasting rooms and views? Snob level scores or great QPR? The next big thing, or the current champions?

As for food, so many choices. Fig at Courtneys, & Kitchenette, are my favorite breakfast lunch places. 15C lunch/casual dinner, all in Templeton, not so crowded. New Downtown is Jeffry’s Wine Country BBQ, way better than it sounds for lunch/casual dinner, I love the Banh Mi sandwich. The Hatch is great for dinner. Somms Kitchen for a small plates wine pairing experience with Ian. The Catch for seafood. Il Cortile for Italian. Fish Gaucho for upscale Mexican and a bar scene (I like the food).

If I had to pick only two places I would pick : Terry Hoage and Giornata. Giornata is a best kept secret in Paso by far. Have fun.

+1 on Windward Pinot Noir (especially when aged)

I also strongly recommend Adelaida Cellars: great Rhône-grape blends, anything from the “Viking Vineyard” (Cab Sauv or Syrah), as well as the old “HMR Vineyard” Pinot Noir (not as “Old World” as Windward, but nothing is). :slight_smile:

Hi, we will be in Paso Robles this weekend for a wedding anniversary (not ours). would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!