London Hotel Recommendation - Stafford

Just had such a wonderful experience that I wanted to share with fellow Berserkers,

We were uncertain where to stay in London, and desiring to be very centrally located and not wanting to spend $700 - $1,000 usd @ day ,
we happened upon the Stafford Hotel which is right in St. James Place. Absolutely centrally located.
Just around the corner from The RITZ, at Piccadilly.
And a stones throw from the Queens Home, and the wonderful park… less than a 100 meters from ; Berry Bros, Justerini & Brooks, and several of the finest Indian Food restaurants, is this charming hotel - The Stafford.
With a Sommelier (Gino Nardella) who will delight you with his wine cellar, knowledge and stories that go back more than 3 decades as a Sommelier for Cunard Lines and some of their top hotels.

With a highly affordable price - I believe just under $400 @ night including all of the + + charges for a Carriage house room. Just historic, and although quite small and lacking the space to wow the guest as the Mandarin Hotel, or Four Seasons - this is well kept charm, rather understated - Epitome of British Class, charm and every effort is made to offer 1st Class service.

The outdoor eating area is supposed to be quite unique to London for drinks and simple food.

Tried the Chunnel for my first time, and what an interesting difference between the French departure hall and the British side.
Upon my return to Paris I was struck how the French are inviting their chaos…

Finding the car rental return at that train station should come with a challenge. It was mere luck that drove us to the right underground entrance.

Thanks for the heads up! Duly noted

Stafford is nice and certainly very well located. Did you get a tour of the cellars? I’ve had several dinners down there that were lots of fun.

We actually sat with Bruno on 3 occasions and gave him a gift that we carried from Champagne - we have him the Drappier Grande Sendree Rosé 2006, and some Kapcsandy, he invited us to the cellars and we never found the time, it was all so rushed as we were doing business and I have never taken the time to tour London, so I had my first few ‘tours of London’ experiences.

Bruno told me to come down…
what are the other rooms or new wing like?
I stayed in the Carriage house rooms but don’t know if that is the best choice.
Did you find it charming to stay?
We never ate one meal their either,
Aloha

“several dinners” I’m impressed and jealous - what is the quality of the food?

I’m a local so have never stayed and therefore can’t comment on the rooms. Re the dinners, they were large (20+ diners) so food was good but somewhat standard fare. We were more focused on the wine! One event was a CdLambrays dinner with Thierry Brouin that was very nice!

Lambray is nice - I never met Mr. Brouin

I had a very interesting and completely strange meal at a place you must know if you are local, fairly new restaurant on the street with all of the expensive Lawyers or neighborhood, after my meeting with Bordeaux Index they brought us to ths place that uses every part of the animal and is common for Brit’s but very strange to American’s… and high quality and fresh, I’ve never seen a menu like this, and they ordered fish for me and it was quite good,
other wise I had Indian food every opportunity I could point in that direction which was excellent, and Chinese food at Mr. Chow’s - awful rip off (Stafford Concierge recommendation)
and Excellent Chinese food at a fine hotel we just strolled into…

Love London, need to spend a month on the island and then visit Wales

William, is the restaurant, which serves every part of the animal so happen to be called Pitt Cue? Was there 2 weeks ago and it was great as always, they moved to this new location from Soho. Correct me if I am wrong.

Head to toe place sounds like St John. Quite famous and trendy amongst foodies.

Nose to tail sounds like St Johns.
Pitt Cue has recently moved to Spitalfields from Soho and has expanded from the menu from solely BBQ. I’m going next month for the first time since they’ve moved.

I’m awful at remembering names, I will write to the gent who took us there and ask, but he did say nose to tail,… very trendy, restaurant in one section and bakery and something more in another. I remember we walked a few blocks and he gave us a fascinating tour, a church hundreds of years old, then the street with the trendy lawyers, we started off in the jewelry district…that is where Bordeaux Index Building is…
I’ll ask the name…

St John. But it’s not new.