DC Steakhouse

Heading to a Maryland football game this fall with some of my college buddies. Want to have a good steak dinner akin to Manny’s in Minneapolis or Chop House in Chicago. Wine not that important for this crowd.

There are few “local” steak houses worth visiting. Prime Rib is very good, has been around forever, and would get a strong recommendation from me, but everyone will need to wear a jacket (the only DC place I know of that still requires one). Definitely a throwback. It is right downtown, on K Street.

Rays The Steaks in Arlington is fantastic and close by (Arlington); much more down market (and cheaper) in every respect except the beef, which is the equal of any other in town. If you want informal, it is a first rate choice. They used to have an absolutely fantastic (and reasonably priced) wine list but the sommelier (Mark Slater, late of Citronelle) is no longer there (and I am afraid may no longer be with us).

Of the chain houses one getting all the buzz locally is Mastro, but I haven’t eaten there so can’t vouch for it. https://www.mastrosrestaurants.com/Locations/DC/Default.aspx ). After that you have all of the usual suspects. Del Friscos, Joe’s Stone Crab (better than most, I’d say), Mortons etc

Thanks, Neal. I appreciate the information. We’re leaning toward Prime Rib despite the jacket requirement. Definitely don’t want to go to a chain.

It is a dining different experience these days from nearly every other restaurant. Walking in is like walking into 1965. You’ll like it.

Tim,

For what it’s worth, Prime Rib is a chain, too.

Some other considerations: Bourbon Steak in the Four Seasons Hotel (with top notch wine list). I haven’t been in a while, but Charlie Palmer Steak near the Capitol is also very good.

Enjoy your time in Maryland and D.C.!

Well, not quite. It has 3 locations (one each in Baltimore and Philly) but so far as I know they are all owned by the restaurant. The Baltimore location was first, in the 60s, and DC followed in the mid-70s. It is no Ruth’s Chris.

Palmer, however, has restaurants all over the country including a number of “Steaks.” Bourbon is part of the Michael Mina empire and one of his three steak houses (there may be others)

First time I went there for business in late 80s, service came complete with a hooker that came to our table to see if anyone was interested.

Mr. Slater is decidedly still with us. he is at the DC outpost of the Philly restaurant Pennsylvania6 http://www.pennsylvania6dc.com/. Go there for the wine if nothing else. That said, the improprietor of Ray’s is no slouch in finding great wine deals on his own account.

If you are going to a UMD game than check out The Classics in Silver Spring http://www.theclassicsdc.com/. It was originally part of the Ray’s empire and was sold off to the managers. They still get their meat from Ray’s producers. Silver Spring is a 20 minute drive from College Park. If you are there on a Friday night, odds are better than even that you will find me and my family there. (wines there are not as good as they used to be, but there are still some worthwhile selections to match my favorite hangar steak around).

I assume it wasn’t the last time!

Pretty amazing story Howard. I never got that treatment; maybe you just look like a player

That’s very good to hear. I always enjoyed our interactions, and he has built some terrific wine lists.

Rays the Classics is an excellent choice and their meats are good. Typical MoCo markups on their wine list-no corkage.

Wasn’t me. I was a fairly junior attorney at the time. But, I was with some bigger deals.