Global Entry vs. NEXUS vs. SENTRI etc

just wondering who uses Global Entry vs. NEXUS

seems like NEXUS is a better deal as far as access and cost.

any thoughts?

thanks

-paul

I have NEXUS. NEXUS gives you GE.

Why not just get GE and you get everything else included, including Pre-Check.

moving to Travel where it belongs

Pretty sure that Mark is correct that NEXUS gives you GE, but GE doesn’t give you NEXUS. Since both Mark and I live near Canada I’m guessing Nexus is more common in this area. Also, NEXUS is way cheaper than GE but provides you GE.

GE includes; NEXUS, SENTRY, PreCheck. I have GE and recently used nexus coming back from Canada into the States.

The biggest issue is from what I’ve read nexus does not give you automatic PreCheck. That is huge when flying from or within the states. So for the cost of a cheap bottle of wine GE gives you everything.

(Edit: the one thing you don’t get with GE is going INTO Canada via NEXUS. For that you need a specific Nexus account. Again, the down side is Nexus alone does not include all the perks that GE gives you. So it depends on how many times you go into Canada vs flying from and within the states. If you’re flying a lot it would be worth it to get GE and NEXUS so you can easily come and go through customs each way and reduce wait times with Precheck at airports).

Nexus gives u everything including auto pre check.

It’s also $50 for 5 years.

perhaps I am mis-reading CBP’s website, it is a gov’t website after all, LOL…

If you are a Global Entry member or > eligible > NEXUS or SENTRI member,

So what makes one an “Eligible” member for Precheck and what makes one not an eligible member? As it is worded, GE is an automatic Precheck qualified but NEXUS or SENTRI may not be automatic.

The website doesn’t say anything about Nexus providing GE in the general case. It says you can use a GE terminal when coming from Canada ONLY.

Program members use dedicated processing lanes at designated northern border ports of entry, NEXUS kiosks when entering Canada by air and Global Entry kiosks when entering the United States via Canadian Preclearance airports. NEXUS members also receive expedited processing at marine reporting locations.

Nexus also gives you Pre check.

I have NEXUS.
It gives me Pre check.
It also allows me to use Global Entry. Coming from multiple countries, not just Canada

the only downside for NEXUS is that most interview stations are located in the norther US (makes sense), so those of us not living in a bordering US state, will probably just default to Global Entry.

Someone still needs to answer this important question…

I am a NEXUS member. I get TSA PreCheck and I get Global Entry (Canada or not). The biggest issue is you have to interview with US and Canadian authorities. There are fewer places to be able to interview and all are along the border.

“Global Entry Benefit: As a NEXUS member, you will be able to use the Global Entry kiosks located at the top 20 major U.S. international airports to enter the U.S. once you provide your 10-fingerprints to CBP. To use the Global Entry kiosks, you must use a valid machine readable U.S. passport. If you wish to use Global Entry, please contact any Trusted Traveler Enrollment Center to schedule an appointment to have your fingerprints captured. Enrollment center information can be found at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/trusted_traveler/nexus_prog/, http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/trusted_traveler/sentri/ or http://www.GlobalEntry.gov/. Do not use your NEXUS card in the kiosk, but you may wish to carry it with you. There is no additional cost to use Global Entry, and you may use it for the duration of your NEXUS membership. Additional information about Global Entry can be found at http://www.GlobalEntry.gov/. If you do not wish to use Global Entry kiosks, please disregard this message.”

I am amaze they do that for less $$. My guess is that will get fixed. Take advantage if you can while you can.

A few differences.

1. Canadian Permanent residents who are NEXUS aren’t TSA PreCheck eligible.
  2. Only US citizens and lawful permanent residents who are SENTRI get TSA PreCheck.
  3. You can have NEXUS and SENTRI without a passport - you have to have a passport for GE.

Thank you

Not sure if anyone is a regular business traveler to Asia, but with GE you can now get an APEC card for an additional fee ($75?). In Beijing for instance this cuts ~ 30 mins off arrival immigration and 30mins - 1hr on outbound immigration (the lines going out have gotten LONG). Japan was a huge time-saver as well. fwiw