OT- Dolomites

I know this isn’t wine related but this area gets the most action so here we go:

The GF and I and some friends are planning a Holiday/Ski Trip centered around some time spent in the Dolomite region of the Italian Alps. Thinking of headquartering in the town of Cortina D’Ampezzo.

To anyone who has been:
*what are your thoughts on the town? Are there better options in terms of location? We are wanting to have a fairly centrally located town of which to hit the various mountains, as well as have good dinner and drink after the slopes.

*Are there any particular mountains to hit up? All are expert skiers and snowboarders and can handle the most difficult terrain.

Thanks in advance…

great location.

nearby we like the Hotel Rosa Alpina. Excellent food

Sadly, due to AA screw up with flight and missed 1.5 days of our trip to the Dolomites which was to start in Cortina where Winter Olympics were held years ago. Intended to drive the great Dolomite road from there to Bolzano. Instead, started in Bolzano and drove half before doubling back on different route. If you have the time and road conditions permit, you might take a day or part of one and do the drive. Beautiful region. I intend to go back one day starting in Cortina. AA gave us a whole $50 for us losing a day and a half of an 8 day trip by canceling our flight after we took off and had to return. Lost 1 hotel night and part of car rental. Original plan was Philly to Venice, get car and drive to Cortina. Next day substitute, Philly to Charlotte to Rome to Milan to pick up rental car. Of course, flight to Rome was delayed 4 hours for mechanical reasons. Had to take Alitalia from Rome to Milan purchased at the Airport in Rome. Very expensive. $ 50 certainly didn’t cover it. The trip from hell until we arrived.

We’ve been skiing the sella Ronda area in the Dolomites for the last few years. Absolutely love it. We stay at a great hotel in Santa Cristina called the Dorfhotel Beludei. It opened nearly 2 years ago, has a lovely modern alpine style, the most wonderful staff imaginable, nice spa/pool and a great restaurant wth an interesting wine selection. It’s a 4 rather than 5 star like the Rosa Alpina but I think that’s only due to the location being a short minibus ride from the slopes rather than being ski in ski out. It has to be said that the skiing on that side of the Dolomites is pretty easy (though it does have the val gardena downhill piste) and hard core skiers might be better off staying the other side in the Rosa Alpina or the Hotel Armentirola. From there you could ski off the Marmolada, Porto Vescovo or Lagazuoi which should offer some good off piste skiing. Never skied in cortina so can’t advise on basing there.

Thanks to all.

So possibly a change in plans. Instead of Dolomites, my buddies want to stay in Austria and ski Kitzbuehel and St Anton.

Anyone with experiences there? Considering Innsbruck as home base for at least part of trip.

I enjoyed this little wine shop. The owner had a killer rec for a locals only lunch spot with Cream of Chanterelle soup and a basket of pretzels. I can’t find the restaurant though, so if you go please inquire so I can make a pilgrimage.

http://www.invinum.com/

Strongly recommend staying in and skiing St Anton if you have a strong group of skiers. Staying in Innsbruck would be very dull in terms of nightlife and a pain in terms of a base to ski from given it’s over an hour to either kitzbuhl or St Anton. St Anton is a crazy, crazy party town with a huge ski area and tons of very challenging skiing, on and off piste. Finishing the day at either the Krazy Kangaroo or the Mooserwirt, dancing in your ski boots and skiing the last mile back to town in pitch dark whilst you’re wasted is a must!

That’s a good call. Perhaps a couple days in Kitzbuhl, a travel day stopping in Innsbruck, and then hit up St Anton for a couple days…

Hi Brian
The travel forum might not get much action, but a number of us do keep a regular lookout there and try to post in-depth thoughts. Indeed it will get more traffic if people post threads there!

I’ve no ski advice, but it is a lovely region and Trento is a lovely city, and I’m told so is Bolzen / Bolzano, in case you wanted to work in the say in either location.

regards
Ian

image.jpg

Had a great time skiing from St Anton. Great skiing. Our chalet host skiied with us and we had a fabulous time skiing from town to town.

If you like Bordeaux, you simply can not miss Hospiz Alms in St Christophe.https://www.arlberghospiz.at/wine-cellar-tyrol.html
Cellar is simply ridiculous. small section:
image.jpg