Paris for 1 dinner, 1 person, Monday night

In Paris in September. The rest of our team is leaving Monday night, where as i head out on Tuesday morning… so i’ve got 1 dinner by myself.

Q: Any recommendations? I mean i can eat at Arpege (and have not tried it)… but is it odd to eat at a place like that by yourself for 4 hrs?

any slightly more ‘lively/bustling’ joints that have excellent food? wine bars?

Staying at Westin Vendome so it’s pretty central, and close to subways.

Thx!

Willi’s is very close. Impossible to advise you really though. I’d go big if I were you. But I’m not.

You can sit at the “bar” talk to the wait staff. I don’t like eating alone but would do that.

George

Depending on budget, that’s a great choice for inventive if old-school cuisine.

For more wallet-friendly choices, I’d suggest standing at the bar at L’Avant Comptoir and the next door L’Avant Comptoir de la Mer. VERY lively and fun and not too expensive. Same goes for Clown Bar, Cave a Michel, Gare au Gorille (the upfront bar and high tables are great for single diners). Lucien Lachance is more traditional (sitting at a table), but you can do that alone and list/food is very interesting.

I saw this older japanese gentleman eating at David Toutain by himself. He was having the greatest meal of his life. You can definitely do fine dining alone.

Did that too and absolutely would second that recommendation. Great place.

George

For meat , bistro Paul Bert, and for seafood l’ecallier Paul Bert next door. Last time at the latter I started with the langoustines followed by the plateau de fruits des mer. Fabulous. There are a million great places to eat, and I have explored many with my wife on our 22 visits to Paris, but if l were eating alone for 1 night, casually devouring shellfish is what comes to mind.

Duh (smacks head), how could I forget Bistrot Paul Bert? There’s also La Cave Paul Bert next door and Le 6 Paul Bert down the block. All 3 would be great for your needs.

Chez l’Ami Jean.

Not open Mondays. But otherwise I agree and with Michel’s suggestions. Me? I’d stand at a good spot at L’Avant Comptoir.

Great food and restaurants are a hobby for me, more than wine, and I don’t get to travel on business all that much, so the opportunity to eat solo at a truly world-class restaurant is a real treat for me. Not sure if food and restaurants are like that for you or more of a social or family event.

Both these places would work for a solo diner but I liked Toutain at dinner quite a bit more than l’Arpege at lunch a few weeks ago, although I remember some comments here that dinner there was more entertaining and diverse. Much better QPR at Toutain, leaving you a few hundred Euros for better wine (though the list at Arpege was a bit more interesting and reasonable I thought).

I also like Bistro Paul Bert 6.

Not knowing the desired splurge level, I would also recommend La Bourse et La Vie, a moderate splurge imho, for their excellent take on basic bistro dishes. It’s still quite new, but expect that it’ll catch on and reservations may become a bit difficult.

http://www.labourselavie.com/

I’m not sure if Frenchie has lost its luster, but it was hot for a long time.

Just a quick update… ended up going to Arpege.

WOW… one of the best meals of my life.
Met a couple from Bordeaux - the guy sold his company to starbucks, worked for them for a while and now quit and working on a project with Amazon (on bakery stuff).
Met another 3 folks from Minnesota.

Anyhow, great pacing, amazing creativity. Passard is an artist with vegetables. And coincidentally in a quick chat, he worked in Lumiere in Vancouver about 15 years ago when I probably ate there too. :slight_smile:

Long story short - Argepe - great spot. go if you can!