Pinehurst Golf Trip

I am headed to Pinehurst for the U.S. Kids World Championships…both of my daughters are playing in the tournament. I was planning on playing #2 on Monday, but it is closed for aerification (#3, 5, 6, & 8 are out for Monday). I am playing Tabacco Road on Friday. I am a 4 handicap, so I am not worried about to tough. I want to play something really good in the Pinehurst area on Monday, any and all suggestion are welcome.

In my opinion, Pinehurst #7 is an awesome course. #2 isn’t just hard, it’s hard in a really ridiculous way. #7 is difficult, but fun, and in my opinion is also the most beautiful of the courses at the complex.

Thanks Rob! Any other suggestions?

I haven’t played the renovated #2, but I would rank them in the following way, #4, #7, #8, #2. They are all a ton of fun. I’ve heard great things about the renovation. #4 is really special.

from my golf crazy husband 4 over 7
7 is down and up with forced carries, 4 is just beautiful with a traditional parkland layout

This- and bummer #2 not available, a great, difficult test.

I agree with this completely. 4 is pretty spectacular.

I’ve also heard good things about Pine Needles down the road from Pinehurst…but if you just played 4, 7, and 8 you’d have a great time!

Have played most of them and agree 7, 4, and 8 are my favorites. Also agree #2 (while most famous) is not much fun to play, even for good golfers.

Quote from my partner (zero handicap) while playing #2, “Every approach is liking trying to make a cue ball land on a bald guy’s head.”

Pre-renovation I thought that #2 (in the summer when they don’t shave the greens to cue ball speed) was actually fairly easy. The fairways are wide and the rough not so bad. Lots of bunkers but the sand is soft and consistent. As a USGA 9 handicap I’ve shot 79 at #2 more than once.

FWIW, I agree with the fact that #2 is famous, but not the most fun course at PH. Granted all my experience there is pre-renovation.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!