Bordeaux

Traveling to Bordeaux for three days. First time.

Searching through the board, I saw one recommendation for nearby Saint-Émilion (about an hour drive) but not much else. Planning to do some research. Hoping to visit some nice vineyards and explore the area. Any tips would be appreciated.

We are traveling in October, hoping it won’t be too cold to enjoy the area. The other option was to visit Piedmont but leaning toward Bdx. Flying out to Barcelona afterwards.

Any tips?

We were in Bordeaux for almost two weeks last October. Weather was great and it was harvest/crush. I hired a guide for two days - and it was really worth it as he got us into some excellent tasting rooms for very personal tastings. St. Emilion is a wonderful town to explore.

Hiring a guide sounds like a great idea. What’s a good way to find a decent guide? Using one of the tour companies?

Henri CHALLEAU
Bordeaux Wine Travel
85 rue des Pelourdes
F-33300 BORDEAUX
Tél: 0033 664 653 852
contact@bordeaux-wine-travel.com

Henri was great – I got his info from a previous post on this board. I think many Berserkers have used him. Again – it was worth it.

Thanks for the info Ted!

Thanks Ted - that does sound fun!
Ivan is a good friend :slight_smile: so help him out guys

We went around for four days with Henri in late 2014. He was absolutely fabulous. A friend went to Bordeaux in June and went around with him and loved it also. I very highly second this recommendation. Bordeaux tour guide - Travel, Wine Tourism, and Restaurants Forum - WineBerserkers

For three days - you may be interested in Les Sources des Caudalie. Right next to Smith Haut Lafite. The spa here is amazing, a good restaurant and a very nice bistro - set right in the vineyards. It’s a longish drive to the northern part, but also a quick drive to Sauternes/Barsac. They can help arrange spa appts, and tasting times. http://www.sources-caudalie.com/en/

Thanks for the info, contacted Henri and have a tour planned for next week. Any etiquette I should now about visiting wineries? In US, I always buy a few bottles during the time of the visit, but not sure if that is feasible or advisable in Bordeaux.

Some of the wineries we visited with Henri didn’t sell their wines at the winery. He took us to a great store in St. Emillion.
We did buy some wine at a few of the places where we had tastings.