Vail in September

My wife and I are headed to vail third week in september for a wedding. Most berserkers results I search are a bit dated and I was looking for input on fine dining as well as day activities. Any help is appreciated

Drive north to Glenwood Springs and:

• Take a dip in the hot springs pool.
  • Rent bicycles and pedal east along the Colorado River and Amtrak right of way. Do this around noon and see the California Zephyr at 12:10 and 1:45 pm (eastbound and westbound train).

September is nice, but in the high country snow is not out of the question. Colors should be at peak. In town I recommend Sweet Basil and Ludwigs for dining. Sonnenalp for lodging. If you are in shape, rent bikes and ride up Vail Pass. If not, stroll Lions Head and central Vail, drive up Tennessee Pass or Fremont Pass and take in the colors. There is a nice path along the river right through town as well. Longer drive, but Independence Pass might be open and you can drop down into Aspen which is a great town.

Up Tennessee Pass is Camp Hale where the 10th Mountain Division trained in WWII for fighting in the Alps. Camp Hale - Wikipedia. Cool, historic, eerie site.

Glenwood is west. North of Vail gets you to Steamboat Springs.
One of my favorite restaurants in Colorado is in Glenwood: The Pullman.

Sweet Basil is always a good call as is La Tour. I think Kelly Liken’s new place will be open at the Sonnenalp Club down valley in Edwards/Singletree by then as well. Crazy Mountain Brewing taproom is in Edwards as well. If you have some decent cardio stamina, the hike to Booth Lake is beautiful. As Michael notes, pay attention to the weather.

Just got back from Avon, which is down the road.

sweet Basil was nice, but as a spoiled New Yorker with an office in the middle of restaurant heaven, it was good for lunch but not outstanding.

If you like gardens and flowers, go to the Betty Ford Gardens in Vail.

If you are driving from Denver on 70, get off at exit 216 and take Route 6 through Loveland Pass and get back on 70 in Dillon. The stop at the continental divide is worth the detour and even if you do not stop and just look out the window, the 10 extra minutes are worth it.

Loveland pass on May 10th this year.
image.jpg
Hopefully a bit less snow recently!

32 days later it was VERY different, although that “snow glacier” in the right of your photo was still there. I will post a few photos when I get home tonight.

The same road, 32 days later, I believe right around the curve from Mel’s photo: I walked up the steps to the hill at the Continental Divide so I could say that I took the photo from 12000 feet.

Rebecca sitting on the stone wall at the Continental divide at Loveland Pass

Down the valley looking northeast.

I’ve ridden my bike up that several times. Always felt like puking at the top.