Long Island NY

Out for the weekend. Have not really kept up this year with what’s been going on. Any suggestions on which vineyards to visit? Will do the usual- Paumanok and probably Wolffer for the nighttime events. Anything else that is a must now or putting out good wine?

Juan - I think Paumanok is an excellent choice. Good wines including a terrific chenin blanc.

Also, I really like Sparkling Pointe for some good sparkling wines and Long Island Spirits for some interesting whisky and other hard stuff. (I usually finish at the distillery; It is close to Riverhead and the LIE and a logical way to end the trip). Subject to a designated driver!

I look forward to a reading a report if you are so inclined once you have finished your visit.

went on a brief trip to the North Fork, thanks for the recs on this thread and others.

for lunch, tried Farm Country Kitchen. I agreed with what was written on previous threads, it’s somewhat hard to find, it just pops out of nowhere on the road, and parking is tough (esp. getting out; there’s always a ton of traffic, and you have to back out carefully onto the shoulder first…). However, food was good if slightly heavy/oversauced, service was very friendly, and the view of the river was very nice. A nice lunch option.

For tasting, went to Paumanok, after reading much about it here and elsewhere. There were a lot of people there on a Saturday but it wasn’t packed, and it seemed like the crowd came/went in waves. Tastings were in groups of 4, ranging from standard reds/whites to Loire, Grand Vintages, etc.; perhaps one disappointment was that there was some overlap between the tastings, so to taste a comprehensive variety, you ended up doubling up tastes of wines such as the Sauvignon blanc, etc. The servers were friendly and overall knowledgeable, and were very open to giving us tastes of wines not on the lineup when we asked about them.

I didn’t end up tasting much of the reds but I enjoyed the Assemblage and the Cabernet Franc, both were aromatic and tasty. Out of the whites that I was able to try, my favorites were the minimalist chenin blanc, now with the 2015 vintage, which had more texture and depth than the already very enjoyable standard chenin blanc that they produce; and the late harvest Riesling, which was voluptuously fruity yet balanced with a nice acidity.

It’s a nice tasting and I think very much worth a visit if you’re in the area. There was food for sale which I didn’t try, but I saw many people drinking full glasses on the patio/deck and enjoying the view of the vineyards.

Alright, we also ended up at Palmer Vineyards for their post 5pm festivities on Fridays due to time constraints. Great time. They have delicious brick oven pizza and an Albarinio that is fantastic. They also have a white Riesling that is really nice. I would get the pizza and stick with just those wines and their sweeter desert wines (I took one for the team on the other wines). Worth going to again just for those wines. I’ll be back out for 14 days in a few weeks and I’m hoping to find more wines to drink and bring home.

I’ll report back again after the next trip.

A North Fork producer that is generally off the radar but turning out a wide range of impressive wines is One Woman. I haven’t had the chance to taste through its entire portfolio, but many restaurants in the area are now pouring the wines and I have enjoyed every one that I’ve tasted.

Thanks Peter!